Graphics
MSI GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, finally finished my install of El Capitan on my system, had a huge amount of problems that I could fix searching the forum, thanks to the rest of you guys.

Components:

GA-z97x-UD7 TH
Intel i7 3,7GHz 4770
16GB GSkill DDR3 RAM
256GB SSD Samsung Pro
1TB Caviar Black HDD
MSI GTX 760 2GB
Mouse Razer Abyssus 2014
Apple Keyboard

PLEASE NOTE THAT MY INSTALL WAS NOT CLEAN, IT UPDATED MY CHIMERA/YOSEMITE to CLOVER/EL CAPITAN, but it should work for everyone.

Main problem I encountered was the USB's... Please read and use this guide to solve everything:

El Capitan USB Fixes Guide

Another problem I encountered was related with the smbios. I choose MacPro3,1 because somewhere I found out that it was solving some problems. Truth is, I change my install clover pen smbios for MacPro3.1 and after installation, when I re-choose Imac15,1 installing MB, my system did not reboot again. I had to take the SSD to my laptop and change smbios again with MB, back to MacPro3,1.

On how to change you UniBeast/clover installation smbios to MacPro3,1: use Clover Configurator.

For my installation I basically followed Tony's guide with the following settings/remarks:

. Only the system drive connected;

BIOS settings:

. BIOS updated to F6;
. Load Optimized Defaults;
. XHCI Mode=Smart Auto, EHCI Handoff=enabled, XHCI Handoff=enabled
. Disabled VT-d;
. Disabled virtualization;
. Set OS type to "Other OS"
. Wake on Lan Disabled;
. On board graphics disabled;
. TB on legacy mode;
. Legacy USB support enabled;

MultiBeast config:

. Fakesmc (all)
. Intel E1000e Ethernet
. Sound ALC 1150
. MacPro3,1

And that was it.... After using the "USB Fix" solution, everything was working smooth! Every USB, sleep, audio, shutdown, etc.... Only thing I can't test is the Thunderbolt because ain't got no hardware here.
:headbang:

Cheers

GREAT... Tnx

Success and easy install 10.11.5 on clean ssd, using unibeast usb. First i could not get any usb to work so i couldn't even type my login pass. I booted to windows ssd and navigated to the OSX ssd library and deleted some random text lines about USB count and stuff, inside a .plist file, because i didn't understand the El Capitan USB FIXES GUIDE. However I booted into El Capitan again and usb suddenly worked. I installed my TP-LINK wifi driver and the latest Nvidia Web Driver, no problems. Maybe the reboot simply fixed my usb's.. Now 'About This Mac' shows 980 Ti correctly. It didn't in previously Yosemite. The only problem is THUNDERBOLT.

My tb-raid is a diy build with a RocketStor 6361A (without its chassis) holding a Highpoint RocketRAID 2740 raid controller, both inside a cute little Silverstone DS380, with 2 custom thunderbolt ports on the back. Inside is 6 x 6TB HDD in Raid 1-0 (10). This is about 18TB pretty fast storage for colorgrading 4K RAW in Davinci Resolve with 25 FPS even with many layers. As cheap as possible. Very Noisy, but a long tb-cable allow placing it outside the editing room. Just if anyone should be interested in such a monster...

My problem is: Thunderbolt only works if i boot into windows, then rebooting back to OS 10.11.5 without powering completely down. Then for some reason all USB's are frozen or undetected so i use my reset power button to reboot again (without powering down) and choose OS X and now the USB's are turned on again, and my thunderbolt raid aka 'BLACKHOLE' is showing up on the desktop.. In Yosemite it was the same problem but without the USB problem. Thunderbolt had to be 'activated' by booting windows, after every power down. Same experience with the more reliable 'Rugged Lacie TB' drive. I know there is some fix out there. I don't know if other experience the same thing with gigabyte thunderbolt or if they just have to 'activate' the thunderbolt ports ONCE...?

For now I'm trying to understand this video about DSDT USB FIX, but i have a hard time not falling a sleep watching it.
:geek:

Last edited:
I had to boot into Windows and download and install the latest Thunderbolt firmware drivers from the Gigabyte website for this motherboard.
After the TB firmware installation via Windows, restart your system, enter the BIOS and go to Peripherals > Thunderbolt > Security Level and set it to "Legacy Mode".
Save your BIOS settings and restart your system again and boot into OS X.
For me, I have to have my TB device plugged in when booting for them to be recognized, hot swapping not possible for me, although some people have reported that hot swapping works for them.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back