Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
The following guide will get you to a fully bootable El Capitan (10.11.4) with working HD5500, ethernet, USB & sleep.

I was new to Clover and initially it was quite scary, but reading the following guides really helped.

This guide does NOT include :

• Sound (might work, I don't need it so haven't tested)
  • WiFi/bluetooth (default wireless card does not work - plenty of help in the forums)
  • 4k (help in the forums)

I've tried to keep this guide as step-by-step as possible.

Creating the USB (I used 16GB USB3)

Insert USB, go to terminal, run diskutil list and find the disk number. Change diskX for disk<number> below

• Open a terminal
  • Format the USB with the following command
    • diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskX 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
  • Run clover, change install location to CLOVER EFI
  • Select "Customize" (the default is a legacy install -- we need to change it)
  • Check "Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP" will automatically select
  • Check "Bluemac" from Themes (the config.plist files I provide use this theme)
  • Check "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" from Drivers64UEFI
  • Complete installation

Post Clover instal to USB

• Delete <USB>/EFI/Clover/Kexts/<numbered versions> - just leave other
  • Copy HFSPlus.efi to <USB>/EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI
  • Copy RealtekRTL8111.kext to <USB>/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  • Copy FakePCID.kext to<USB>/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  • Copy FakeSMC.kext to <USB>/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

Config.plist

Copy the installer to USB (takes a while!)

• Download El Capitan from the App Store
  • Open a terminal and enter the following command
    • sudo "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --applicationpath "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app" --nointeraction
  • Finally, I copied the Clover package and the related files above to a folder on the install_osx partition as you'll need it once the OS is installed.

Installing El Capitan

• Eject the USB, pop it in the Brix and start it but mash the DEL key to get to the BIOS

BRIX BIOS Settings

• Reset to defaults
  • CFG Lock: Disabled (Advanced->CPU Configuratioin)
  • Secure Boot Control: Disabled (Security)
  • DVMT to 64MB
  • Changed boot order to boot from USB first to make life easier
  • Save and exit

From the Clover menu

• Select boot from install_osx
  • Once the OS X installer presents itself, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and format your SSD
  • Answer all the install questions and OS X will install - note it will take ages at the end of the process (sat there at 1-second left for about 5 minutes)
  • When it restarts, boot again from USB and again select install_osx partition - this will continue the install (I had a lot of black screen at this time).
  • Boot again from USB key but this time select your boot drive
  • You should now be able to enter the initial setup details and get to the desktop

Installed clover to SSD bootloader

• Run Clover (you copied it to a folder on the USB) the same as above but select your SSD as the destination
  • Select same options as above and install
  • Use EFI Mounter to expose the EFI partition so we can copy the files over
  • Navigate to the EFI partition on your SSD
  • Copy over the HFSPlus.efi, 3 kexts and config.plist from your USB subfolder to the SSD in the appropriate locations (same relative locations as on USB)
  • Use Clover Configurator to set the name of the boot volume, otherwise it wouldnt automatically boot (it would just sit at the Clover screen)
  • Remove the USB key and restart

Reset Boot Order in BIOS

• Start BRIX, go into BIOS and change boot order to boot from SSD EFI partition, save and exit.

Should work OK!

[*]Copy FakePCID.kext to<USB>/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

Note that FakePCIID.kext does nothing by itself. Perhaps you meant FakePCIID.kext+FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext for BCM94352HMB WiFi card?

Note also: FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext not needed for Broadwell graphics.

[*]Change ig-platform-id to 0x16160002. This is for HD 5500

I wonder if 0x162b0002 will also work (it is what is being used on the Broadwell NUC).

If 0x162b0002 works, it should mean that my Haswell BRIX guide will work essentially unmodified for the Broadwell BRIX. USB configuration might be different and require some tweaks though...

Hi,

I followed your guide for Haswell initially but it crashes when booting installer with FIFO Overflow in AppleFrameBuffer/AppleIntelController.cpp - so I guess that specific platform ID is required for HD5500.

The FakePCIID.kext was there speculatively based on another thread I'd read about a different Broadwell BRIX - there's a chance it's redundant. I haven't installed the BCM94352HMB and the guide doesn't cover it.

I couldn't have created my guide without all of your hard work, so thank you very much.

Cheers
Rich

Hi,

I followed your guide for Haswell initially but it crashes when booting installer with FIFO Overflow in AppleFrameBuffer/AppleIntelController.cpp - so I guess that specific platform ID is required for HD5500.

I'll change the id then...

The FakePCIID.kext was there speculatively based on another thread I'd read about a different Broadwell BRIX - there's a chance it's redundant. I haven't installed the BCM94352HMB and the guide doesn't cover it.

FakePCIID.kext does absolutely nothing by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back