Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS H170M-Plus
CPU
i7-7600
Graphics
Intel HD-530
So I got my new ASUS H170M-Plus based Skylake machine up and running with El Capitan. There are still a few glitches but most things seem to work in general and I haven't experimented with DSDT fixes yet. This is a living post, will update as I add/test/fix additional stuff.

Hardware
  • Asus H170M-Plus
  • Intel i7-6700
  • 2 x 8GB DDR4
  • 1 x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
  • 1 x Seagate Desktop 2000GB

What Works
  • Graphics: OK (minor boot logo glitch still present, HDMI not tested yet)
    Edit (5/20/16): Both HDMI and DVI working with new config.plist (need to boot with HDMI only, then hotplug DVI)
  • Network: OK
  • Sound: Partly-OK (front connectors not working yet)
  • USB: OK (all ports seem to work, speed not tested yet)
  • Sleep: Partly-OK sometimes the display doesn't come back, could by my crappy monitor though.
  • Time Machine / Apple Store / iTunes Music / iMessage: not tested yet

INSTALLATION GUIDE

This whole procedure would be much simpler with MultiBeast but since MultiBeast doesn't work with Fusion Drives we have to do the post install steps manually.

1. UEFI BIOS Settings
  • Exit > Load Optimized Defaults
  • Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated: 64MB
  • Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Boot > Fast Boot: Disabled
  • Boot > Secure Boot > Secure Boot State: Disbled*
  • Boot > Secure Boot > OS Type: Other OS

*To disable secure boot, backup existing secure boot keys to a USB stick first (Boot > Secure Boot > Key Management > Save Secure Boot Keys), then delete the PK (Boot > Secure Boot > Key Management > PK Management > Delete Key)

Most of the settings found in other guides were already the default on my board (such as disabled serial port, vt-d, ...).

2. Prepare Tools and Files

Create a UniBeast stick according to the guide and add

3. Create the Fusion Drive

1. Boot from USB stick
  2. After selecting the language for the OS X installer, go to Tools > Terminal
  3. List your disks and identify the SSD and HDD you want to fuse:
    Code:
    diskutil list
    for me this was /dev/disk0 (SSD) and /dev/disk1 (HDD)
  4. Create Fusion Drive
    Beware that this will delete everything on both drives!
    Code:
    diskutil cs create FusionDrive disk0 disk1
    When diskutil is done you should see something like
    Code:
    Core Storage LVG UUID: <UUID>
    Copy the <UUID>
  5. Format your new fusion disk
    Code:
    diskutil coreStorage createVolume <UUID from previous step> jhfs+ Macintosh\ HD 100%

4. Install OS X
  • Boot from your stick and install OS X El Capitan to Macintosh
  • Restart and complete installation. When asked about your network connection select My computer does not connect to the internet. Otherwise it will crash. We'll fix that later.

5. Install Clover

Clover needs to be installed to the EFI partition of one of your physical drives (e.g. the SSD). The problem is that the Clover installer can't see the physical volumes below our logical Macintosh HD. So we'll just install it to Macintosh HD and copy things over when we're done.

Install clover to Macintosh HD. Click Customize and select the following options:
  • Install for UEFI booting only
  • Drivers64UEFI > OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
You should now have a folder named EFI at the root of Macintosh HD. Copy this over to the EFI partition on your SSD:
  1. Launch Clover Configurator, select Mount EFI in the side bar, click Mount EFI Partition and select your EFI partition (/dev/disk0s1 in my case)
  2. Move the EFI folder from Macintosh HD over the existing EFI folder in the EFI partition.

6. Configure System

Add the following files from step 2 to your EFI partition
  • The kexts to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11
  • The config.plist to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER (replace the existing one)
Next fire up Clover Configurator select your config.plist and customize the serial number under SMBIOS by replacing the four zeros in the middle with random characters.

Reboot. At this point you should be able to boot without the USB stick and have internet and HD530 graphics working.

7. Fix Sound

Make sure you're connected to the internet for this
  1. Run audio_cloverALC-110.sh from a terminal
  2. confirm everything (y)
  3. reboot, you should now have sound working
  4. start clover configurator, select your config.plist and under Rt Variables set CsrActiveConfig to 0x03. This will turn back on SIP (System Integrity Protection) which had to be turned off for the previous step.
  5. Save, reboot and select the appropriate audio output in System Preferences

8. Add SSDT

A correct SSDT for your CPU will allow the system to use all supported power states. I used Piker-Alpha's ssdtPRGen.sh to create one. You can get it from here (I used the beta since my CPU is fairly new).
  1. Run the script without options, it should do everything automatically
  2. Copy the resulting SSDT.aml from ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/ to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

That's it. Most things should be working now. If you find out how to fix some of the remaining issues, let me know.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
where i can find the cofig.plist

have you tried to install sierra

This post is just so cool. wish I had run into it sooner. the DVMT Pre-Allocated: 64MB gave me some trouble later today. If you have it set differently the gpu driver will panic at boot (I think, happened to me)

I installed using this guide, but still have a weird graphical glitch in the upper-left. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I installed using this guide, but still have a weird graphical glitch in the upper-left. Does anyone know how to fix this?

It turns out it's a common glitch. I have it too. There are several solutions on the forums. When I try one I'll let you know. Just search for hd530 glitch or something.

I
So I got my new ASUS H170M-Plus based Skylake machine up and running with El Capitan. There are still a few glitches but most things seem to work in general and I haven't experimented with DSDT fixes yet. This is a living post, will update as I add/test/fix additional stuff.

Hardware
  • Asus H170M-Plus
  • Intel i7-6700
  • 2 x 8GB DDR4
  • 1 x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
  • 1 x Seagate Desktop 2000GB

What Works
  • Graphics: OK (minor boot logo glitch still present, HDMI not tested yet)
    Edit (5/20/16): Both HDMI and DVI working with new config.plist (need to boot with HDMI only, then hotplug DVI)
  • Network: OK
  • Sound: Partly-OK (front connectors not working yet)
  • USB: OK (all ports seem to work, speed not tested yet)
  • Sleep: Partly-OK sometimes the display doesn't come back, could by my crappy monitor though.
  • Time Machine / Apple Store / iTunes Music / iMessage: not tested yet

INSTALLATION GUIDE

This whole procedure would be much simpler with MultiBeast but since MultiBeast doesn't work with Fusion Drives we have to do the post install steps manually.

1. UEFI BIOS Settings
  • Exit > Load Optimized Defaults
  • Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated: 64MB
  • Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Boot > Fast Boot: Disabled
  • Boot > Secure Boot > Secure Boot State: Disbled*
  • Boot > Secure Boot > OS Type: Other OS

*To disable secure boot, backup existing secure boot keys to a USB stick first (Boot > Secure Boot > Key Management > Save Secure Boot Keys), then delete the PK (Boot > Secure Boot > Key Management > PK Management > Delete Key)

Most of the settings found in other guides were already the default on my board (such as disabled serial port, vt-d, ...).

2. Prepare Tools and Files

Create a UniBeast stick according to the guide and add

3. Create the Fusion Drive

1. Boot from USB stick
  2. After selecting the language for the OS X installer, go to Tools > Terminal
  3. List your disks and identify the SSD and HDD you want to fuse:
    Code:
    diskutil list
    for me this was /dev/disk0 (SSD) and /dev/disk1 (HDD)
  4. Create Fusion Drive
    Beware that this will delete everything on both drives!
    Code:
    diskutil cs create FusionDrive disk0 disk1
    When diskutil is done you should see something like
    Code:
    Core Storage LVG UUID: <UUID>
    Copy the <UUID>
  5. Format your new fusion disk
    Code:
    diskutil coreStorage createVolume <UUID from previous step> jhfs+ Macintosh\ HD 100%

4. Install OS X
  • Boot from your stick and install OS X El Capitan to Macintosh
  • Restart and complete installation. When asked about your network connection select My computer does not connect to the internet. Otherwise it will crash. We'll fix that later.

5. Install Clover

Clover needs to be installed to the EFI partition of one of your physical drives (e.g. the SSD). The problem is that the Clover installer can't see the physical volumes below our logical Macintosh HD. So we'll just install it to Macintosh HD and copy things over when we're done.

Install clover to Macintosh HD. Click Customize and select the following options:
  • Install for UEFI booting only
  • Drivers64UEFI > OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
You should now have a folder named EFI at the root of Macintosh HD. Copy this over to the EFI partition on your SSD:
  1. Launch Clover Configurator, select Mount EFI in the side bar, click Mount EFI Partition and select your EFI partition (/dev/disk0s1 in my case)
  2. Move the EFI folder from Macintosh HD over the existing EFI folder in the EFI partition.

6. Configure System

Add the following files from step 2 to your EFI partition
  • The kexts to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11
  • The config.plist to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER (replace the existing one)
Next fire up Clover Configurator select your config.plist and customize the serial number under SMBIOS by replacing the four zeros in the middle with random characters.

Reboot. At this point you should be able to boot without the USB stick and have internet and HD530 graphics working.

7. Fix Sound

Make sure you're connected to the internet for this
  1. Run audio_cloverALC-110.sh from a terminal
  2. confirm everything (y)
  3. reboot, you should now have sound working
  4. start clover configurator, select your config.plist and under Rt Variables set CsrActiveConfig to 0x03. This will turn back on SIP (System Integrity Protection) which had to be turned off for the previous step.
  5. Save, reboot and select the appropriate audio output in System Preferences

8. Add SSDT

A correct SSDT for your CPU will allow the system to use all supported power states. I used Piker-Alpha's ssdtPRGen.sh to create one. You can get it from here (I used the beta since my CPU is fairly new).
  1. Run the script without options, it should do everything automatically
  2. Copy the resulting SSDT.aml from ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/ to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

That's it. Most things should be working now. If you find out how to fix some of the remaining issues, let me know.

I have the same mobo as u have. When i select the language while installation it shows "el capitan already installed on this mac". Only restart button available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back