Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] 10.10.3, Intel i5 3570, Intel DQ77MK, GTX970, TRIM (Clover Dual-Boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97 Gryphon Armour Edition
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
MSI GTX970 Million Edition
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all, long time lurker, first time posting.
Been hackintoshing since the Core 2 Duo days, and I liked using OS X so much I actually started purchasing MacBook Pros to use! Only problem is that if you want anything powerful then they are usually very expensive.

Anyway here's my build, purchased pretty much purchased all the components from eBay / friends / used for pretty cheap:

Intel i5 3570
Intel DQ77MK
4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Asus Strix GTX970 4GB
TOSHIBA THNSNF256GCSS (256GB SSD)

Originally I tried installing with Chimera / Unibeast, but I would quite frequently get freezes and kernel panics, so I decided to give Clover a shot before giving up.
Everything works currently, such as Ethernet, Audio, TRIM, USB3, Nvidia Web Drivers.
There's been a lot of reports of Nvidia GTX 970s not waking up the display after boot, and I've had that trouble as well. For me, after doing the fixes I talk about below, the only time it doesn't wake up on boot is when I've connected the display using Display Port.
I have a 1440p screen, but for some reason over HDMI I would only get 2048 x 1152 as max resolution. If I use a DVI to HDMI converter however (my monitor doesn't have DVI), I get the max 1440p resolution.

Haven't tested / attempted to make iMessage and iCloud stuff work yet.

Big thanks everyone on tonymacx86 for posting guides and fixes so that I could get my Hackintosh up and running.

Here's a short guide to what I've done.

Things to download:

OS X Yosemite (from the Mac App Store)
DiskMaker X (google it)
NVidia Web Driver (here)

Clover
MultiBeast
Clover Configurator
FakeSMC.kext
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
HFSPlus.efi
config.plist (for clover)
(above stuff check the TonyMacX86 guide to install Yosemite using Clover here)

Follow the TonyMacX86 guide to install Yosemite using Clover. I pretty much followed that guide, apart from when they used Terminal to create the USB Yosemite Installer, I used DiskMakerX.
Note:
Make sure Vt-d is turned off in your BIOS(this will depend on what board you have, but for me this stopped me getting crashes
If your GTX970 or similar card is plugged in, make sure to boot using the "nv_disable=1" flag, and each time the installer reboots your system, always use that flag until NVidia drivers are installed.

When you have Yosemite installed and booted onto Desktop, install Cover to your Yosemite partition as shown in TonyMacX86's guide, and then use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition, and copy all the kexts and config.plist into the respective places.

Install the NVidia Web Drivers, and reboot.

Run MultiBeast, click drivers, audio, RealTek ALCxxx, and click both ALC892 and Optional EFI Installed Bootlader Support.

Then click Build and Install.

Next to to fix the display sleep on wake issue:

"Originally Posted by rankrotten

Edit the AppleGraphicsControl.kext and burrow down to /Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

> IOKitPersonalities
> AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
> ConfigMap
F60DEB81FF30ACF6 change from Config 2 to none.

If you look closely, nearby there will be other Strings with either config 2 or config 1, change all of these to none as well

Save changes and reinstall kext. Reboot."

To edit the plist files, I used a program called TextWrangler, so that I am able to edit the files despite being locked.

and now to enable TRIM, run these two commands using Terminal:
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x00\x41\x50\x50\x4c\x45\x20\x53\x53\x44\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

touch /System/Library/Extensions

and that should be it!

"touch /System/Library/Extensions"

what is the touch command? my system says "permission denied" even after i provided the password after the first command.

"touch /System/Library/Extensions"

what is the touch command? my system says "permission denied" even after i provided the password after the first command.
Both commands should have "sudo" at the start because these commands require Administrator permissions. Try:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
See tonymacx86's post for the full example.

Yes was meant to include sudo, was typing the codes out and forgot to include it, sorry!

Well since then, I've upgraded to an i7 4770 and a Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H.
Literally just swapped the motherboard and CPU out, didn't even reformat hard drive, and it just booted with no problems! Been using this for 2-3 weeks now, rock stable.

Only thing I had to do was install the ALC877 kext as the Gigabyte board uses that instead of the ALC892.

After installing it however, the sound would not work after sleep/wake. My fix to that was to change the SMBIOS to the iMac 15,1 definition, I used CloverConfigurator to do that.

I also managed to get iCloud / FaceTime / iMessage working!

followed this guide here https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2wohwn/getting_imessage_working_on_10102_generating/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back