Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hi everyone, I'm about to make the move to OC and Big Sur.
@Simon70 are you still on Clover as your main driver or have you switched to OC completely? If you're on OC, are you also on Big Sur? Is it working nicely?

I got your EFI as a reference, I basically downloaded latest OC, 0.6.4, and added your config.plist plus the ACPI, kexts, etc.

@Stork Also, reading OC's doc page, I noticed they recommend using VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC, saying the latter is to be used on legacy systems. Should I still use FakeSMC for this setup or could I migrate to VirtualSMC? I haven't found much information on that yet, and I didn't see an explanation on the installation page. I'm still searching, though. By the way, I have already read https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/virtualsmc-or-fakesmc.264315/

Is anyone using VirtualSMC on this setup? If so, would you share how it's performing?

Anyone else on OC/BigSur working daily with it? Any inputs?

I did a Time Machine backup and will be reinstalling the whole thing from scratch. Since I won't be working for the next few days, this is the right time to do so :)

Thanks!

UPDATE
Stork, the reason for that question is this mention on OC's page:
Alternative is FakeSMC which can have better or worse support, most commonly used on legacy hardware.

I'd love to find out that information to be able to choose properly.

Last edited:
@Simon70 are you still on clover as your main driver or have you switched to OC completely? If you're on OC, are you also on Big Sur? Is it working nicely?

I am still in Catalina and continue to use Clover.
In some tests done with Big Sur, when it was still in beta, a long time ago, I adapted one of the Pastrychef EFI, and I was very happy, not having found any problems.

Bye

@ed.stein, I'm still running Mojave with Clover. I'm in the process of updating to OC and Catalina, but this is bad time of the year to get a couple of hours to do so. So, I hope to have it done right after Christmas. Thanks for your patience.

BTW, I will not update to Big Sur until the .3 update is released. This has been my philosophy since the macOS 10.0 back in the day. However, I do have a test drive of Big Sur on my Thunderball II system, and it's OK for now.

@Simon70 Cool, from your message back then I thought you had permanently migrated to OC.

@Stork Thanks. Could you just help me understand why you chose FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC for this build? Just so I know if I can try to use VirtualSMC instead.

I don't need to update to Big Sur, I'd just do it because of the OC migration and because I thought you guys (not you Stork) were already using it daily. If not, I'll stick to .7, but will migrate to OC :) My system is still running slow on every spotlight search, ever since that first update from Mojave I made. Now it's time to try to fix that faulty update :D

@Simon70 are you still on Clover as your main driver or have you switched to OC completely? If you're on OC, are you also on Big Sur? Is it working nicely?

I got your EFI as a reference, I basically downloaded latest OC, 0.6.4, and added your config.plist plus the ACPI, kexts, etc.

@Stork Also, reading OC's doc page, I noticed they recommend using VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC, saying the latter is to be used on legacy systems. Should I still use FakeSMC for this setup or could I migrate to VirtualSMC? I haven't found much information on that yet, and I didn't see an explanation on the installation page. I'm still searching, though. By the way, I have already read https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/virtualsmc-or-fakesmc.264315/

Is anyone using VirtualSMC on this setup? If so, would you share how it's performing?

Anyone else on OC/BigSur working daily with it? Any inputs?

I did a Time Machine backup and will be reinstalling the whole thing from scratch. Since I won't be working for the next few days, this is the right time to do so :)

Thanks!

UPDATE
Stork, the reason for that question is this mention on OC's page:

I'd love to find out that information to be able to choose properly.
I have been running VirtualSMC and its plugins for a few years now after switching memory driver to use OCQuirks and Runtime Services which are now incorporated in Clover anyway. I just figured as Lilu is such a key kext for so many other kexts it made more sense to use as much from Acidanthera as would work. I'm still on Mojave, with latest Clover and never had any issues.

I have been running VirtualSMC and its plugins for a few years now after switching memory driver to use OCQuirks and Runtime Services which are now incorporated in Clover anyway. I just figured as Lilu is such a key kext for so many other kexts it made more sense to use as much from Acidanthera as would work. I'm still on Mojave, with latest Clover and never had any issues.
Hey, thank you for your input! :)
I guess I'll try that, then. By reading OC's doc page it doesn't make sense not use it, that's why I asked Stork first, because I don't know if this build had something specific that required the FakeSMC.

Thanks again

Sup everyone!
I've been reading the OC's doc and I noticed something interesting, on this page (https://dortania.github.io/Anti-Hackintosh-Buyers-Guide/Storage.html) they say:

The other big issue surrounds all Samsung NVMe drives, specifically that they're known to slow down macOS, not play well with TRIM and even create instability at times. This is due to the Phoenix controller found on Samsung drives that macOS isn't too fond of, much preferring the Phison controller found in Sabrent Rocket drives and Western Digital's in-house controllers(WD SN750)

That information directly conflicts with this forum's buyer's guide. Given that here, samsung NVMes are recommended.

Does anyone know anything about that? I'm still digging into this, but if anyone knows something, please share.

I'm asking because I own the Samsung 970 PRO NVMe, but if this is true, I'll be getting the WD Black SN750, which is considerably cheaper!

Sup everyone!
I've been reading the OC's doc and I noticed something interesting, on this page (https://dortania.github.io/Anti-Hackintosh-Buyers-Guide/Storage.html) they say:

That information directly conflicts with this forum's buyer's guide. Given that here, samsung NVMes are recommended.

Does anyone know anything about that? I'm still digging into this, but if anyone knows something, please share.

I'm asking because I own the Samsung 970 PRO NVMe, but if this is true, I'll be getting the WD Black SN750, which is considerably cheaper!
I have a 1tb Samsung 970 Evo and it has never given me any issues. I do have the Acidanthera NVMe Fix kext https://github.com/acidanthera/NVMeFix but even before didn't have problems.

There was a firmware issue at one point with some of the Samsungs but that got resolved a while back I think so maybe google about the samsung firmware and double check with yours. Ultimately if it is working then it is clearly not an affected version. I have seen a lot of reports of people having issues with the WD Black NVMe drives in hacks so will personally be getting a Sabrant rocket series as my next drive!

@c0c0p0ps Thanks, they also recommended sabrent rocket, but where I live they cost 3 times the price of the WD and about 1.5 the price of the 970 PRO, so you know... not getting it for now...
About the drive, as I said, I've got a samsung 970 PRO for over a year and half now. And apart from the "post .6"-update issue in which every spotlight search and intensive drive access raise my CPU temp to alarming levels, I've never had any issues with it. But since I was reading that, I thought it was better to confirm.

@Simon70 , @c0c0p0ps or anyone that moved to OC :D
Here https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#acpi they say the SSDT-PMC is not required for our MB (Z370):

So true 300 series motherboards(non-Z370) don't declare the FW chip as MMIO in ACPI and so XNU ignores the MMIO region declared by the UEFI memory map. This SSDT brings back NVRAM support. See Getting Started With ACPI Guide for more details.

Still, @Simon70 , that file is present in the package you shared with your EFI. Also, here https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#booter it says EnableWriteUnprotector should be false, while yours is true.

I'm only asking so I know what I'm doing, it's not to criticize anything, just learn.

Any reason for those?

Back