Contribute
Register

Stork's Entry Level Hector Build: GA-H97N-WIFI - i5-4690 - HD4600 & GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
...But I have a few questions... I skipped the part modifying the EFI/Clover/config.plist until the "KextsToPatch" part. I did find a nVidia driver (not the one you had, but one suitable for 10.11.4) and installed that.
What does that part do? And did I really screwed things up by skipping that?
First, are you refering to my guide here? http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...d4600-gtx-750-ti-using-clover-el-capitan.html. Because the installation guide in my build description is just an overview. (I have now removed the installatioin overview in my build description post #1 as they are probably incomplete.)

Second, your GTX 760 doesn't need the Nvidia drivers as Apple supported the 760 fully with it's drivers starting with OS X 10.8.5. But, using the Nvidia drivers won't hurt things.

Third, the "part you skipped" is somewhat important if you use more than one USB 2 port or your USB 3 ports. With El Capitan, Apple changed how it defines its USB ports, and (long story short) USB 3 ports (and motherboard headers) count as two USB ports. Thus, looking at your motherboard user manual, you'll discover that, if you go through the Arithmetic, you have more than 15 USB ports with this motherboard. Thus, the USB config.plist addition. See paragraphs 3, 4 and 5 in my El Capitan Guide. :thumbup:

And in my BIOS I saw my memory running 1600MHz but in "about this mac" it shows 1333MHz, you know why?
Nope. Did you turn on X.M.P. in the BIOS?

I haven't tested everything, but the things I need work: HDMI (on GPU), sound, USB's, and ethernet connection.:rolleyes: Frankly, I am easy to please and already happy with the result hahaha.

The thing that doesn't work (yet) is dual boot with Windows10, I do see 2x NFTS 'partitions'/'startup disks' in clover but none of them boot into windows, just a black screen with blinking underscore... (you can tell I am a noob now, sorry) I also cannot select the windows ssd in BIOS boot option priorities, however by pressing "F12" during boot up I CAN select the windows ssd and boot up Windows normal. Is there an 'easy' way to get clover to select the Windows so that it starts up?
Dunno about dual booting as I don't use Windoze on my systems. However, Going Bald has several guides in the Multi-Booting forum section.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/

Thanks to R0B3RT-J questions in the previous posts, I decided to remove the abbrevated installation guides to Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan as they have their own separate installation guides (see my signature block). This will prevent confusion by my forgetting to update both this thread and the guides. :thumbup:

First, are you refering to my guide here? http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...d4600-gtx-750-ti-using-clover-el-capitan.html. Because the installation guide in my build description is just an overview. (I have now removed the installatioin overview in my build description post #1 as they are probably incomplete.)

I used a combination of both of your guides plus the Unibeast guide.

Third, the "part you skipped" is somewhat important if you use more than one USB 2 port or your USB 3 ports. With El Capitan, Apple changed how it defines its USB ports, and (long story short) USB 3 ports (and motherboard headers) count as two USB ports. Thus, looking at your motherboard user manual, you'll discover that, if you go through the Arithmetic, you have more than 15 USB ports with this motherboard. Thus, the USB config.plist addition. See paragraphs 3, 4 and 5 in my El Capitan Guide. :thumbup:

So if I don't connect a lot of USB devices (I never use a lot) I won't see a problem, but with connecting so many that OSX sees more than 15 USB ports it will?

Nope. Did you turn on X.M.P. in the BIOS?

I set it on X.M.P. 'profile1' (instead of disabled) Shows 1333 MHz (blue), and a greyed out 1600MHz(in selection part) which I cannot change... but when I see it running it shows 1600.35MHz... o_O

And I will click the contribute button, for your guys effort. :beachball:

MultiBeast for El Capitan v8.2 was released today. So, I decided to try something I've not done before - update my current build with MultiBeast's updated kexts and Clover version. So, I used my MultiBeast.mb file, but deselected the Driver > USB > Increase Max USB Port Limit. (You'll need to do this as MultiBeast has a problem if you've already patched the EFI's config.plist with this port limit increase.)

All the drivers/kexts were updated. However, I backup my EFI/Clover/config.plist just in case. (Always smart thing to do.) I then looked at the config.plist file in Xcode or Clover Configurator. (I actually used Plist Edit Pro, but Xcode is free.) The only thing that changed was the Theme which was changed to the Clover default essentials. So, I edit the config.plist Theme variable back to tonymacx86.

I'm now running Clover v2.3k r3423 and the latest versions of the kexts. Life is good! :thumbup:

BTW, UniBeast 6.2 was updated the other day. Time to download and remake the UniBeast El Capitan 10.11.4 thumb drive...or not...10.11.5 will be out in ?? :lol:

It will be a really PITA if you have to drill through the case. I finally just let the extra antennas hang out a back case opening. (Scroll down to the end of Post #37 to see the pictures. The WiFi and BT work fine, and, since the antennas are in the back of the case, which nobody sees, I just left them as shown in the pictures.

well I wouldn't drill through the case, I'd just remove the bracket that is attached to the motherboard and make a new one. However the problem is going to be spacing for 4 antennas and the motherboard IO back plate that attaches to the case. Maybe I could find someone with a CNC machine....

Hi Stork,
So as i understand there is no way of reliant bluetooth usage with the standard wifi/bluetooth card on the GA Z97N-Wifi Mobo?
Because it worked when i started it for the first time and then it just wouldnt work anymore no matter how often i restarted the computer.

I removed the combo card before I assembled Hector so I didn't test the BT capability of the card (IIRC). But, it was reported that the combo card's BT did work in OS X. Unfortunately, I can't help you as I don't have any experience with the Gigabyte WiFi/BT combo card. I'd recommend you start a thread in the Network forum section discussing your problem. You'll probably be asked to post your IOReg information. Good luck!

I removed the combo card before I assembled Hector so I didn't test the BT capability of the card (IIRC). But, it was reported that the combo card's BT did work in OS X. Unfortunately, I can't help you as I don't have any experience with the Gigabyte WiFi/BT combo card. I'd recommend you start a thread in the Network forum section discussing your problem. You'll probably be asked to post your IOReg information. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, will do so.

Cheers
Samhvale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back