Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone :)

I've added the speedstep support to the DSDT, and according to MSR tools, it's activated.
But it never clocks down in idle.

It say Speedstep: on TM1: On

and then

Max Frequency: 2.67
Actual Frequecy: 2.80 (105.0%)
--

i am not overclocking and C.I.A disabled. so it must be the intel turbo thing kickin it up to 2.8.

But why doesn't it clock down when computer is idle, even for a good while ? The actual freq is stuck at 2.8. And my temps are same as before.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help on the matter

Re: speedstem problem

techsnot said:
Hi everyone :)

I've added the speedstep support to the DSDT, and according to MSR tools, it's activated.
But it never clocks down in idle.

It say Speedstep: on TM1: On

and then

Max Frequency: 2.67
Actual Frequecy: 2.80 (105.0%)
--

i am not overclocking and C.I.A disabled. so it must be the intel turbo thing kickin it up to 2.8.

But why doesn't it clock down when computer is idle, even for a good while ? The actual freq is stuck at 2.8. And my temps are same as before.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help on the matter

Try using the iMac11,1 smbios.plist- you'll see the stepping down with and without Speedstep edits. ;)

That doesn't look like the correct setting being that it says 2.8 GHz is 105%. TonyMac told me he wasn't using the speedstep in his DSDT and it still worked so i tried it and he was right. I'd suggest you not even bother.

lectrcman said:
That doesn't look like the correct setting being that it says 2.8 GHz is 105%. TonyMac told me he wasn't using the speedstep in his DSDT and it still worked so i tried it and he was right. I'd suggest you not even bother.

Yeah, but I've tested with MacPro smbios and iMac smbios- and MSR Tools shows different things- only with the iMac11,1 smbios would it give me stepping down info.

lectrcman said:

seems correct to me. 2.8ghz is what it used to be in windows as well, intel turbo core.

i'm now gonna reboot and test the suggested smbios.plist :p

techsnot said:
lectrcman said:

seems correct to me. 2.8ghz is what it used to be in windows as well, intel turbo core.

i'm now gonna reboot and test the suggested smbios.plist :p

same result.
i made a backup of my old smbios, and installed the suggested one using multibeast.
osx is now "Model Identifier: iMac11,1"

But MSR tools is still saying the same. Going to reboot and turn of turbo core, and see if that does anything ;P

hm. ok, so i turned of the turbo. and i changed all the default values from "auto" to "enabled" when it comes to the bios settings for EIST driver, and those things.

Now MSR tools shows that some downclocking is in effect. even tho it's very small.

2.60 at the lowest so far. 2.67 max ;P

actual voltage is also moving down and up a bit. load is 0 atm. nothing but firefox running.

ok. my bad. i had the NullCPUPowerManagment.kext installed.

so i removed it from extra, rebuilt the kext cache and rebooted.

i am now getting correct downclocks :)

sorry for messing up. maybe you could add to the howto on the blog that you should remember to change the deault settings from auto to enabled and remove this above mentioned kext. that way you wont have any more idiots like me asking why it's not working:lol:

Thanks again for prompt help and advice :)

EDIT: I re-enabled intel boost core. and i can now boost at 2.8, while the speedsteping still is alive and kicking :)
It's not that i was worried about power consumption. But the fan was going a bit high, a lot more often then i liked :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back