Register

Sonoma videos laggy several hours after reboot

Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z490-A
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6950 XT
I have an ASUS Prime Z490-A running Sonoma 14.1 with a Radeon RX 6950XT. I can't tell if its a graphics card issue or something else, but after I reboot the computer I can watch any video (local or streaming like youtube) with no lag. After a few hours, watching streaming or downloaded videos will start to suffer some sort of buffering issue where it will play about 2 seconds of video, then pause for 3-4 seconds, then play the next 2-3 seconds of video. It makes it impossible to watch any kind of video until I reboot again. Does anyone know the issue offhand? If not, how can I diagnose if its a graphics card issue or something else?

Which Application or browser are you using when watching these videos?

If you are having problems with streaming videos, that could be a newtwork issue.

If you are having problems with downloaded (locally saved) videos then that could be an application issue.

Have you tried using an alternative browser for streamed videos and an alternative Application for downloaded videos?

VLC Media Player is a good application for video and other media. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

I assume you have a fully working spoof for your RX 6950 XT dGPU.

Thanks for your reply. For streaming I used Brave web browser and Safari, and for local vids I used vlc media player and the built in quick view (press space bar on a media file). The problem happens on both streaming and local, but only after the computer hasn't been rebooted for about 4 or 5 hours. The network and local disk are stable, so I think its a different issue.

I'm not sure if the video card spoof is fully working. I'm currently using the "AMDRadeonNavi2xExt.kext" (version 1.0.1) as it seemed the easiest and seemed to work most of the time. The other method of spoofing the model also worked, but I ran into issues with it after I upgraded to Sonoma, so that's why I switched to the kext. Which method do you recommend, and do you think this could be the issue?

Yes, AMDRadeonNavi2xExt.kext could be the issue.

I would recommend using the DeviceProperties to spoof the device-id. As it is the simplest way to spoof the device-id of the RX 6900 XT.

Do you have your Intel IGPU enabled? If yes, is it using an empty/headless framebuffer (0300C89B)?
Do you have any SSDT's or other kexts related to the RX 6950 XT in your OC setup?
Which SMBIOS are you using, iMac20,2?

Thanks, Ill get ready to try the device-id spoof. Is this the best guide to use for it?: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-rx-6950-xt.320302/page-2#post-2352873

iGPU is enabled, but I didn't see an option to set the framebuffer so I assume its using the default value. I have a SSDT name "SSDT-X16_1-GPU.aml" that I'm not sure why its there but it helped get the graphics card working after the Sonoma upgrade. Yes I'm using the iMac20,2 SMBIOS. I also installed OC0.9.6 using the "OCAuxiliaryTools" app, although hackintool tells me I'm using 0.6.5. I also have (in order) the following kexts: Lilu, VirtualSMC, SMCSuperIO, SMCProcessor, AppleALC, AMDRadeonNavi2xExt, WhateverGreen, NVMeFix, RealtekRTL8111 and USBMap. I'm also using these boot args: "agdpmod=pikera -radcodec debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 -v"

Hi
I have the same problem, but my video card should be fully compatible it is RX6600XT
Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome and Telegram helped me, but unfortunately you can't do that in video player and Safari.

Did you find a solution?

Back