i3-10105T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'd like to be able to run Sonoma in an Elitebook G7 830. It currently has M.2 Broadcom and I would like to think that if I stick with Ventura until EOL that I will be able to use Broadcom (I like OOB Airdrop).

Is there a similar M.2 wifi module that works with Sonoma?

No, not Broadcom at this point in time. This may be fixed in the future, so the native Broadcom cards work in Sonoma. But they don’t work in the current Beta versions.

Best you can do at the moment is add an Intel WiFi/BT card and the appropriate kexts. But Airdrop won’t work.

No, not Broadcom at this point in time. This may be fixed in the future, so the native Broadcom cards work in Sonoma. But they don’t work in the current Beta versions.

Best you can do at the moment is add an Intel WiFi/BT card and the appropriate kexts. But Airdrop won’t work.
Thank you for clarifying.

Yes, the laptop arrived with Intel Wifi/BT and it does work, albeit without Airdrop. I replaced the Intel with Broadcom so that I would gain Airdrop functionality.

I'm not going to "hold my breath", so I will have to stick with Ventura to sustain Airdrop functionality. Hopefully, my Broadcom will be supported between now and the final Ventura release. If it were possible to add Broadcom Wifi kexts (like Intel Wifi) AND retain Airdrop, then that would be a reasonable option, though I suspect that this is not possible (yet).

There have been some testing and success using OpenCore Legacy Patcher on a Hackintosh, so the Fenvi T919 Broadcom BCM4360CD WiFi card works in Sonoma.

This will probably transfer over to other Broadcom WiFi/BT cards. But as Sonoma is not out of Beta, I would recommend staying on Ventura until such time as a more widespread fix for Broadcom cards is available.

@Edhawk I can confirm that yes I got mine working with open legacy patcher... but it has its consequences it disables parts of SIP so some programs crash because of that... have you happen to notice if there are any compatible out of box?

Currently there are no Broadcom WiFi/BT cards that are compatible with Sonoma, that will work in an M.2 or PCIe adapter. There are a couple of clever bods looking at this in another thread in the Post Installation > Network Forum so things may change in the future.

Currently the options are as follows:
  1. Stay on Ventura where the Broadcom Wifi/BT cards work out of the box, with all Apple security options in place.
  2. Update to Sonoma and use an Intel WiFi/BT card, with all that goes with them regarding the loss of Apple's Continuity features.
  3. Update to Sonoma and use a Broadcom card for Bluetooth, and an Intel card for WiFi. This option gives you better Apple Continuity features but not all of them. It also doesn't require the Apple Security measures to be reduced.
To be honest I don't see any point in updating to Sonoma, until a better Broadcom fix is created/released.

Nothing in Sonoma is so earth shatteringly great that I would ever miss not having it. Funky Desktop backgrounds don't do it for me. Whereas the loss of the Continuity Features is a big loss.

Back