1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I finally got my G5 case from a friend, and I am so excited. However, it came with a bit of a surprise. It has ALL the original parts except for the drives. 1. These parts still run fine, so I was wondering, to those of you who had to tear apart your case, did you re-use the parts in some other case (I know the G5 makes a great server)? Or did you just sell them on ebay?

2. Second, I found out I have a late 2005 model, so my front I/O ports are different for the wiring. This means I have to order a pre 2005 model I/O port offline. If I do that, how do I hook up the power button and led light to it?

3. The case comes with a build in speaker which can be removed (it has a fan attached to it). Is it possible to re-use this speaker in my mod so I can have sound coming out of it?

4. Is it worth taking the time to move my PSU into the G5 encasement if I have no idea what i would be doing?

5. Are there any tips for cable management, or do you guys find your temps are ok even with some clutter?

6. Since there is no reset button on the case, what do you do if you need to reset? Can I create my own reset button?

7. Are there any instructions (in the even I don't move my PSU into the G5 shell) on how to make it look clean in the back for the PSU plug?

8. For those of you who have completed this mod, and updated your specs afterwards, did you find it easy to upgrade?

9. Is it worth recycling the fans and attaching molex connectors? Or are modern fans much better for airflow?

10. If I don't have firewire on my motherboard, can I still hook up the front I/O ports with the wire that can be bought from insanelymac (I plan on buying one)?

Thanks for all the help in advance, I am not starting this mod till I know almost all the info above, then I will post a thread with progress etc. when I start.

Blah101 said:
1. These parts still run fine, so I was wondering, to those of you who had to tear apart your case, did you re-use the parts in some other case (I know the G5 makes a great server)? Or did you just sell them on ebay?

It can go either way. Just depends on how much modding you want to do to get them to work, and how vanilla you want it to look. ;)

2. Second, I found out I have a late 2005 model, so my front I/O ports are different for the wiring. This means I have to order a pre 2005 model I/O port offline. If I do that, how do I hook up the power button and led light to it?

The wiring diagram for the front I/O port can be found here:
download/file.php?id=11972&mode=view
You'll need to make sure the USB and Firewire are correctly wired for it to work. If your motherboard doesn't have a firewire port, then you can use the FW- for the GND.

3. The case comes with a build in speaker which can be removed (it has a fan attached to it). Is it possible to re-use this speaker in my mod so I can have sound coming out of it?

Yes, you can re-use the speaker. Depending on how you want it to be used with decided how much modding you'll have to do.
Either: BIOS beep or actual sound.
BIOS beeps is simply enough, wire the - to the - and the + to the + on the motherboard.

However, if you want the actual audio, that will require a much different task.

4. Is it worth taking the time to move my PSU into the G5 encasement if I have no idea what i would be doing?

If you have no idea what you're doing, I would say no. From what I've gathered, the PSU mod is one of the harder ones, and you'll need to do some metal work for the fan.

5. Are there any tips for cable management, or do you guys find your temps are ok even with some clutter?

If you use a motherboard tray, you can route wires through the back of it.
You can also use some sleeving to make it look nicer.
Heatshrink and sleeving can be found here:
Heatshrink: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8660/ ... 35c179s369
Sleeving: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3733/ ... 35c175s359

6. Since there is no reset button on the case, what do you do if you need to reset? Can I create my own reset button?

In short: yes you can create your own button, the easiest way is to just wire a button as you would a regular case. (Reset SW)

9. Is it worth recycling the fans and attaching molex connectors? Or are modern fans much better for airflow?

The stock G5 fans can be rather loud, even at 5V. It would be easier to use regular PC fans, the bigger the better.

10. If I don't have firewire on my motherboard, can I still hook up the front I/O ports with the wire that can be bought from insanelymac_ (I plan on buying one)?

You can use it, but you'll have to re-wire it anyway.

Jerime said:
Blah101 said:
1. These parts still run fine, so I was wondering, to those of you who had to tear apart your case, did you re-use the parts in some other case (I know the G5 makes a great server)? Or did you just sell them on ebay?

It can go either way. Just depends on how much modding you want to do to get them to work, and how vanilla you want it to look. ;)

The wiring diagram for the front I/O port can be found here:
download/file.php?id=11972&mode=view
You'll need to make sure the USB and Firewire are correctly wired for it to work. If your motherboard doesn't have a firewire port, then you can use the FW- for the GND.

Yes, you can re-use the speaker. Depending on how you want it to be used with decided how much modding you'll have to do.
BIOS beeps is simply enough, wire the - to the - and the + to the + on the motherboard.

If you have no idea what you're doing, I would say no. From what I've gathered, the PSU mod is one of the harder ones, and you'll need to do some metal work for the fan.

If you use a motherboard tray, you can route wires through the back of it.
You can also use some sleeving to make it look nicer.
Heatshrink and sleeving can be found here:
Heatshrink: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8660/ ... 35c179s369
Sleeving: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3733/ ... 35c175s359

In short: yes you can create your own button, the easiest way is to just wire a button as you would a regular case. (Reset SW)

The stock G5 fans can be rather loud, even at 5V. It would be easier to use regular PC fans, the bigger the better.

10. If I don't have firewire on my motherboard, can I still hook up the front I/O ports with the wire that can be bought from insanelymac_ (I plan on buying one)?

Thanks for the fast response! I have some question regarding some of your answers.

I was referring to actual audio (sorry I wasn't clear), what is this other task and what does it entail?

I am pretty new to this, how would I go about creating my own?

How do I have to re-wire it?

What do you mean by use the FW- for the GND? Sorry, I need to catch up on my abbreviations.

Thanks for the fast response! I have some question regarding some of your answers.

I was referring to actual audio (sorry I wasn't clear), what is this other task and what does it entail?

Sorry, I know it's been done. But for the life of me, can't remember how to do it.

I am pretty new to this, how would I go about creating my own?

The easiest is to grab the reset switch from an old case (button, wires, and the connector) And mount the button somewhere.

How do I have to re-wire it?

Because the front I/O port needs the firewire ground to complete the circuit, you need to use it to wire your power LED and power switch. I believe there is a thread somewhere in this section for it.

What do you mean by use the FW- for the GND? Sorry, I need to catch up on my abbreviations.
FW- is the firewire ground (GND). I'll see if I can find the thread that has it.

Blah101 I suggest that you spend a day reading all of the G5 conversion threads that you can find. All of your questions have been answered by those that have preceded you. Many have provided complete photo story of the process. Google is your friend.

neil

neilhart said:
Blah101 I suggest that you spend a day reading all of the G5 conversion threads that you can find. All of your questions have been answered by those that have preceded you. Many have provided complete photo story of the process. Google is your friend.

neil
Thanks, I have read through quite a number of threads in the pass week, but I will keep reading.

I found the thread, it has a diagram on it.
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=48827&hilit=no+firewire+front+g5
Thanks! I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back