Contribute
Register

[Solved] Which are the extra kexts I need to update to High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
CPU
i7 2700K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC 6Gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello dudes,

First of all, thank you for this impressive project!!!!

I'm a happy Sierra user, but now I need to update from Sierra (10.12.4) to High Sierra (10.13.3) because I want to use H.265 for encoding in Final Cut.

I am reading the guide made for this purposes: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

And, I have an important doubt:

On step2:

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

how do I know what kexts exactly do I need?

My system is an Z77 with a GTX 1060.

Thank you sooooooo much!

Last edited:
Hello dudes,

First of all, thank you for this impressive project!!!!

I'm a happy Sierra user, but now I need to update from Sierra (10.12.4) to High Sierra (10.13.3) because I want to use H.265 for encoding in Final Cut.

I am reading the guide made for this purposes: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

And, I have an important doubt:

On step2:

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.

My system is an Z77 with a GTX 1060.

Thank you sooooooo much!
FakeSMC.kext is the one that makes System Management Controller Chip in your Hackintosh behave like SMC of Real Mac.
If you have no FakeSMC in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder of your USB installer disk during installation and in the System/ Library/ Extensions folder of the System Hard disk you have NO Hackintosh.

• Therefore FakeSMC.kext is the SINGLE MOST ESSENTIAL kext you need.
  • Other essential kexts assist in Monitor Display, [helping the Video Chip along with the Video kexts both basic video (which the system files may have) and later for the advanced video the kext for the OS to be installed] Input /output device use(mouse and Keyboard controller kexts), Power management related kexts to prevent Panic during installer boot and the Ethernet kext (to use the network ASAP for further troubleshoot and setup of the System for ease of download.)
  • To know what you need as essential kexts (drivers), use your Motherboard Manual or Specs from the web site about its Processor associated Video chip., LAN chip, Audio Chip etc for corresponding kexts .
  • Audio is not ESSENTIAL at this Installation stage but collect that information now for use in the System Disk setup at Post Installation Stage.
  • Check the "Forum Search Tool " for your Hardware where others might have already posted about how they configured everything or use Google for a global search
  • Finally, when you complete the installation, come back to the Forum and post with illustrations how you did that successfully to help others like you.
    • Less than 1% does this to make this Forum more user friendly.
    • Many posts are abandoned out of frustration or the OP got everything from the Forum and did not feel it necessary to return anything to the Forum for using it!
Your CPU:i7 2700K uses Intel HD 3000
LAN Chip
: Intel 82579V ( best to use IntelMauseEthernet.kext from the link you have here.)
Audio:Realtek ALC892

FakeSMC.kext is the one that makes System Management Controller Chip in your Hackintosh behave like SMC of Real Mac.
If you have no FakeSMC in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder of your USB installer disk during installation and in the System/ Library/ Extensions folder of the System Hard disk you have NO Hackintosh.

• Therefore FakeSMC.kext is the SINGLE MOST ESSENTIAL kext you need.
  • Other essential kexts assist in Monitor Display, [helping the Video Chip along with the Video kexts both basic video (which the system files may have) and later for the advanced video the kext for the OS to be installed] Input /output device use(mouse and Keyboard controller kexts), Power management related kexts to prevent Panic during installer boot and the Ethernet kext (to use the network ASAP for further troubleshoot and setup of the System for ease of download.)
  • To know what you need as essential kexts (drivers), use your Motherboard Manual or Specs from the web site about its Processor associated Video chip., LAN chip, Audio Chip etc for corresponding kexts .
  • Audio is not ESSENTIAL at this Installation stage but collect that information now for use in the System Disk setup at Post Installation Stage.
  • Check the "Forum Search Tool " for your Hardware where others might have already posted about how they configured everything or use Google for a global search
  • Finally, when you complete the installation, come back to the Forum and post with illustrations how you did that successfully to help others like you.
    • Less than 1% does this to make this Forum more user friendly.
    • Many posts are abandoned out of frustration or the OP got everything from the Forum and did not feel it necessary to return anything to the Forum for using it!
Your CPU:i7 2700K uses Intel HD 3000
LAN Chip
: Intel 82579V ( best to use IntelMauseEthernet.kext from the link you have here.)
Audio:Realtek ALC892

Many thanks cmn699!

Sure, I will explain what I finally do in order to get my hackintosh keep on running on 10.13!

I can see that your MoBo is a Z77 too, btw ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back