Graphics
WX 7100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I hope that maybe someone can help me with this as I tried everything already.

I have some weird USB related problems, since I reinstalled my machine from scratch with macOS Sierra. It started with my USB WASD ISO keyboard (which is connected via one of the motherboard's back facing USB 2.0 ports) not working right after logging in. It worked on the login screen (I could input username and password) and the desktop would load, but then my keyboard would suddenly stop working. I then had to pull the USB cable and put it back in, to make it work again.

Then I noticed that my USB 2.0 audio interface (SPL Crimson) was no longer working. It is a class compliant interface, so it does not need a driver. I can make the interface work by opening "Audio MIDI Setup.app" and switch the interface audio output format from 44'100 Hz to 48'000 Hz (and back – after changing the setting, it works with all settings, up to 192'000 Hz).

These issues are random. Sometimes the audio interface and/or the keyboard are both working flawlessly (without having to reconnect or switch sample rates). Also, I did not had any of those issues on El Capitan.

I followed the process of temporarily injecting all USB ports with USBInjectAll.kext, registering all ports with a USB 2.0 stick and a second time with a USB 3.0 stick and ended up removing the not used ports in Clover with the following boot argument:
uia_exclude=HS07;HS08;HS09;HS10;USR1;USR2;SS04;SS05;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10

On the first impression, all ports (4 x USB 3.0 ports and 4 x USB 2.0 ports on the backplate and 2 additional USB 3.0 ports on the case) seem to work fine. The strange thing is, that "System Information.app" lists only one "USB 3.0 Device Tree". So, it is not recognising any USB 2.0 port at all, even though all 4 USB 2.0 ports are actually in use (1 = keyboard, 2 = mouse, 3 = audio interface, 4 = MIDI controller keyboard). Even stranger, none of the USB 3.0 ports seem to deliver USB 3.0 speed. I checked with a SONY USB 3.0 stick and "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app" and got not higher than 16 MB/s write speed.

Also, sometimes, when I power on my MIDI controller keyboard (Akai MPK249), macOS prompts me with a "keyboard not recognised" dialogue, as if it would be a QWERTZ/QWERTY keyboard.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do to make my USB "reliable"? Once it runs, it runs without issues. But it gives me kind of an unstable impression in general.

My system configuration:
- Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH LGA1151
- Intel Core i7-6700K (8MB Cache, LGA1151, 4GHz)
- EVGA 02G-P4-2951-KR Nvidia GTX950
- Ballistix Sport LT 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200)
- Samsung MZ-75E1T0B/EU 850 EVO 1TB

Clover Settings:
- Clover > Version: 3766
- Clover > Acpi: FixShutdown
- Clover > Acpi: FixUSB
- Clover > Boot: dart=0
- Clover > Custom Flags: uia_exclude=HS07;HS08;HS09;HS10;USR1;USR2;SS04;SS05;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10
- Clover > Kernel and Kext Patches: KernelPm, Apple RTC
- Clover > SMBIOS: iMac17,1
- Clover > System Parameters: NvidiaWeb

Multibeast Post Installation Settings:
- Multibeast > Quick Start: UEFI Boot Mode
- Multibeast > Drivers > Network: IntelMausiEthernet v2.2.0
- Multibeast > Drivers > USB: Increase Max Port Limit

Third Party Drivers:
- Nvidia Web Drivers 367.15.10.15f03 installed

My build can also be found here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-z170x-ud5-th-i7-6700k-evga-gtx950-32gb-ddr4.201063/

Many thanks in advance for any hint!

Thanks for the link @kiiroaka! I read through the article several times now and have to admit, that I am not experienced enough to interpret the instructions properly. At first I thought I was supposed to just copy/paste the code snippets and add them to my SSDT, but then I see the article is also indicating: "This kind of code snippets is used for all USB ports" and "No. We are not going to do that in the ACPI tables. This is only meant to help you understand what is does, and here is an example:". So, I am a little overwhelmed and intimidated by that guide, to be honest.

Congratulations. Did you go the 'Easy' route or the 'Right' route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back