EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I've just completed by first ever build, using the hardware below. I was surprised at how (relatively) easy the process was, and how stable my system is. I bought the PC for gaming, with the afterthought that I might just try getting OSX running on it at some point. It's so quick and works so well that I'm now using it as my main work computer at home, replacing my retina MacBook Pro. This is in no small part due to the resources found on these forums, so thanks to all!

Anyway, let me get to the point. My spec is:

Gigabyte Gaming 7 motherboard
Intel core i7 Skylake @ 4.0GHz
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
SanDisk 480GB SSD
EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB
IOGEAR GBU521 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter
Running El Capitan 10.11.4

My problem is that the USB ports are all working, including the 3.1 port in the back, but for some reason OSX won't recognise any mass storage device. Peripherals such as mouse, keyboard, aforementioned bluetooth adapter, and my iPhone all work when connected to any of the ports. A USB 2.0 thumb drive, and an external USB 3.0 disk drive however do not. Both are recognised on another Mac, and interestingly the USB thumb drive did work one time on a reboot. Also it's worth mentioning that it also works when booting from the rescue USB using UniBeast.

I currently have installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext from here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads, and Universal-Z170-USB3.0-Injection.kext (I'm afraid I can't find where this came from now).

Anyone any suggestions? It seems strange that everything should be working apart from mass storage devices.

Thanks.

Jamie

USB mass storage devices not recognised

So I have this finally working now. I tried installing MultiBeast 8.2 which was released this week, but to no avail. I then gave up on it, and instead started overclocking my system. As part of this process I had to reset the BIOS a couple of times. It seems that at some point I'd turned off XHCI handoff, which was the golden ticket. After this was turned back my devices immediately appeared, and all USB peripherals continue to work. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back