Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i9-10900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm currently running Sonoma 14.3 and have no problems with updates until this point. . Today I saw 14.4 beta 1 was available and I felt brave and gave it a try. It went through the entire update process from Software Update without errors of any kind and after the last reboot went through the "9 Millennia Reaming" as usual and when it was done went to the desktop as expected, However upon checking the version it was still at 14.3 and the Software Update was letting me know 14.4 Beta was still available. So it went through all the motions with no indication of problems but didn't actually do anything. Upon rebooting noticed that the 14.4 Beta installer icon is still present in the boot menu so it did not remove it like it should have when done. So I ran Disk Futility and it found no problems. I tried updating again and got the same results exactly. The 14.3 installation appears untouched and still works fine. In using opencore 0.9.7.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:
I have since found out that many other people are having the same problem. It seems to have to do with the wifi/bluetooth kexts.

I finally got 14.4 Beta to install. They changed something that affects the wifi and Bluetooth kexts. O am using a Intel AX201 card dour mileage may very.
If you have a problem updating to 14.4 beta here is what to try:

1) Make sure securebootmode is set to disable and not default.
2) Disable all wifi and Bluetooth kexts.
3) Reboot and clear NVRAM.
4) Re download 14.4 Beta and let it install..

It should install properly.

5) Re enable wifi and Bluetooth kexts and reboot. However in my case the wifi will not work but I am using Ethernet so not a problem for me.

Hopefully the kexts involved will get updated to work properly with 14.4.

Just installed 14.4 Public Beta 2. Had to disable wifi and bluetooth kexts for it to install just like the previous Beta 1. The difference now is that if you re enable the wifi kext in my case airportItlwn and reboot you get into an endless reboot loop. I also tried the 2.30 beta version and same thing. After disabling it again it boots and works normally sans wifi of course. Hopefully the kexts will get updated to work. Fortunately I am using Ethernet and don't need it at this time. Its why I haven't updated my laptop from ventura as I do need working wifi there.

Last edited:
I finally got 14.4 Beta to install. They changed something that affects the wifi and Bluetooth kexts. O am using a Intel AX201 card dour mileage may very.
If you have a problem updating to 14.4 beta here is what to try:

1) Make sure securebootmode is set to disable and not default.
2) Disable all wifi and Bluetooth kexts.
3) Reboot and clear NVRAM.
4) Re download 14.4 Beta and let it install..

It should install properly.

5) Re enable wifi and Bluetooth kexts and reboot. However in my case the wifi will not work but I am using Ethernet so not a problem for me.

Hopefully the kexts involved will get updated to work properly with 14.4.
I followed your step 1&2(I stay away from nvram reset as it usually kills my OC boot loader) and successfully install 14.4. After re-enabling the disabled Wi-Fi kexts my Bluetooth(Realtek) works and no issues. Prior to your posting 14.4 refused to install.

Thanks

The built :
ASUS PRIME Z790-V WIFI D5 ATX (bios 1603)

Intel i9-12900K

MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 4G OC

Oydisen Kioxia 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 SSD(supposedly osx oem)

KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0x4 NVME

G.SKILL 32G 2X D5 6000 C36 RJ B

Corsair 4000D CC-9011199-WW White Steel / Plastic / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 600W

(Onboard Realtek Bluetooth works under vendor ID 0x004C(Apple)).

Attachments

• 20240210_121539.jpg
    20240210_121539.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
  • 20240210_121612.jpg
    20240210_121612.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I got the wifi working using ltlwm and heliport....

14.4 Public Beta 3 installed properly with wifi & bluetooth kexts turned off then re-enabled after completion.

Last edited:
14.4 Public Beta 4 installed ok after disabling all wifi & Bluetooth kexts.

With regards to the issues people are experiencing with Sonoma 14.4 Beta ...

It seems that with Sonoma 14.4 Apple are getting ahead of the Quantum computer game as they will be introducing two forms of end-to-end encryption for iMessage in Sonoma 14.4 (also next release of IOS, IpadOS ..etc). This should make iMessage immune to being hacked / decrypted by Quantum computers in the future.

Whilst quantum computers don’t have enough qbits right now to do it, it wont be too long before its a reality and there are reports that some bad actors and government agencies are already collecting and stockpiling encrypted data ready for the day when it can be run through a quantum computer for decryption.

My guess is that these changes to iMessage could be the cause of the issues some users are reporting with the 14.4 beta's as persumuly it will involve changes to the network / wifi / BT stacks / API's.

Good write up on. this over at Ars Technica :-

Cheers
Jay

Back