Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Turns out the original IDE DVD drive wasn't cutting it. I got the Sony optiarc 24x and still had problems, I think it was just because I was trying the different codes '-v rd=disk0' etc. When I just hit enter without doing anything it installed just fine!

Thanks for help!

First my specs

i3
Gigabyte p55a
4gig ram
8400gs
HP Lightscribe DVD740 drive
WD 1tb drive

So, I learned I could switch my PC to OS X today, and decided to try to do it today.... maybe I should of spent more time researching, anyway...

First downloaded and burned iBoot 3.1.1, went and bought snow leopard 10.6.3, downloaded multi-beast too. First installation attempt was giving me 'waiting for root device error'. I installed gnome partition editor and split my HDD into 2 partitions, 1 ntfs and the other HFS+, both 500gb.

Then tried install again, tried code '-v rd=disk0s2', it made it past the root device error and then got held up saying 'system uptime in nanoseconds'.

I couldn't find much about that error, one person said to try a USB DVD drive, and to disable IDE controller. I do not have access to a USB drive tonight [Ill go buy one tomorrow though] and I don't know how to disable IDE controller in BIOS. I do have BIOS configured according to the directions for Gigabyte p55a mobo, per tonymac's directions.

I went ahead and deleted all partitions with gnome, and then configured the entire drive to HFS+, now when I run iBoot, I run '-v rd=disk0' and I'm back to the "Still waiting for root device error."

I keep reading but I am not understanding kext, multi-beast, or kernels at all. I don't really have much computer skill, I've built a few PCs and can code HTML css and some java, but that's it so all this kernel stuff is boggling my mind.

I have no idea [despite searching] how to edit kernels, or kexts or whatever, or how to run multi-beast. I think multi-beast is a OS x program, but I don't understand why people are referring to it to help the install process.

Anyway, now I've deleted all data and re-partitioned my HD as HFS+, so I'd like to figure this out soon. Any help is very much appreciated.

Re: Setting up Snow Leopard, different error messages

Can you give us a few more details about what you did.

How did you set BIOS....AHCI, 64, S3, boot order, HPET if not default for your board.

Confirm that you get to the Chameleon screen and can choose Snow Leopard with the option of adding boot flags.

The Lightscribe is not listed on the supported devices wiki....if you have another DVD drive available, could you try that....I would stick with an internal as external ones can't be used to install Snow Leopard.

SnapMan said:
Can you give us a few more details about what you did.

How did you set BIOS....AHCI, 64, S3, boot order, HPET if not default for your board.

Confirm that you get to the Chameleon screen and can choose Snow Leopard with the option of adding boot flags.

The Lightscribe is not listed on the supported devices wiki....if you have another DVD drive available, could you try that....I would stick with an internal as external ones can't be used to install Snow Leopard.

Thanks for quick response. As I said I set up BIOS as stated on this site. Boot order is DVD then HDD then floopy. SATA control set to AHCI, SATA port 3 is disabled [though I have tried with enable and disabled], HPET is enabled and set at 64-bit.

I thought Chameleon was another OS X program, just did some research saw I was wrong. I am downloading it now.

I do not have another DVD drive I can use now. Though I can go buy one tomorrow when stores open. I looked at devices on wiki and couldn't find any of the recommended ones locally. Do you know of one that I could get at best buy or frys that will work?

You don't need to download Chameleon....it is built into MultiBeast...in the last version it is replaced by Chimera.

Well, they have a lot of DVD drives at Fry's, the one I got was an ASUS DRW-24B1ST
and it has worked for me.

If you follow the iBoot + MultiBeast guide, all you need is to download those two files and have a Snow Leopard retail disk. MultiBeast has the Chameleon bootloader, all the kexts and system utilities you should need for most installations.

I found the Sony optiarc near me that is recommended in the wiki. I also kept reading and changed my HDD to SATA 0.

I also read that I need to update my mobo, but I'm not sure which I have. I know it's a Gigabyte p55a ud3, but I'm not sure if it is 1.0 or 2.0.

After installing the new DVD drive I get further in the installation but not all the way. I was getting held up at the realtek kext, so I disabled SATA3 and my built in wireless and got past realtek.

Now, I try '-v rd=disk0' or '-v rd=disk0 -x', and I get to, 'cannot mount root, errno = 19', above that it says...

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE1@1F,2/AppleIntel5SeriesAHCI/SED@1/IOAHCIDevice@0/IOAHCISerialATAPI/IOSCSIPeriperalDeviceNub/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType05/IODVDService/IODVD BlockStorageDrive/Optiar
BSD root: disk0, major 14, minor 0
cannot mount root, errno = 19

Ok, well I thought I got it. I get to the install screen now, first few attempts failed around 50%, now it starts installing but it never gets anywhere. Tried reformating and partitioning.

The Gigabyte boards have the rev. number physically on the board.

The BIOS version shows up during the normal boot sequence before the Chameleon screen.

BIOS version is also on the first splash screen if you boot into BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back