Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 v2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I have this problem with multibeast. It fails every time, no matter my options.

The installation failed

The installer encountered an error that caused the software to fail. Check the Multibeast.log Install log for more details.

I attached the install log.

Anyone got ideas?

Attachments

• install log copy.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 557
  • multibeast log.txt
    549 bytes · Views: 430
Multibeast failure

The reason for the failure can be seen in the install.log.

You have a significant number of kexts with "no dependency found" which is causing the kernel cache update to fail.

The only solution is to replace all of the bad kexts with newer versions and then the kernel cache can be properly updated.

Multibeast failure

Oh, uh... is that a huge deal?

A lot of them are unknown to me - Videoglide for instance is software I could uninstall, and reinstall - but what about the rest? Can't make heads or tails of them...

Multibeast failure

This confuses me though - why would Multibeast choke on an older version of FakeSMC? It seems like the whole purpose of Multibeast would be to update things like that.

I guess I can do a clean install and migrate my users / applications from my backup system (which is what I'm working on now). Ugh. Sounds like a lot of work... that hacking I guess... ;p

I had Mavericks running in safe boot, but after running (or failing to run, I mean) Multibeast it kernel panics on any kind of bootflag combo.

No point solving that when it's obviously a multibeast step that is killing the install... when I restored the HD from the backup system, then did the whole install again, it did exactly the same thing so I clearly gotta solve the Multibeast failure.

Multibeast failure

MultiBeast will only upgrade the kexts that you choose. It doesn't search and update what was previously installed.

If you don't want to upgrade the older FakeSMC you can boot with UserKernelCache=No, but your boot times will be slower.

As for why MultiBeast fails, it's cause it wants to update the Kernel Cache and if there were previously installed kexts that are bad, it can't get around it.

Multibeast failure

OK, thanks Mac Man,

I guess I will go through them carefully and delete. Hopefully not breaking anything in the process.

I'll try verbose mode later when I have my laptop back from the shop and maybe post kernel panic shots as I expermient (wheee).

Also will try no kextcache.

Not sure why I have no problems booting my Lion system with these 'bad' kexts... and prior to multibeast, I can do a safe boot just fine in the Mavericks system.

After multibeast fails, safe boot no workie.

I guess I need a better understanding of Multibeast itself - is there a techinical explanation somewhere of what exactly it's doing, in what order?

I.e.

Kexts working in Lion

Unibeast - Mavericks updates the system - all is good

Unibeast boots the EFI

-x to boot Mavericks, all is good

run Multibeast - fails: multiple kexts are missing dependencies

Mavericks drive fails to boot - kernel panic

Unibeast boots the EFI

try Mavericks from there - kernel panic again with safe boot.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record - I have uninstalled VideoGlide, and SMARTboard drivers.

I'll uninstall fakeSMC next.

Multibeast failure

Hmmm - okay, now it's gotten past multibeast - YAY! I deleted all the referenced kext's and then multibeast succeeded.

Then reboot and WHOO!!! But now it freezes after a long spinning apple logo screen.

Hmmm...

Multibeast failure

Everything working now. The MB crashes were unrelated to the later boot failure, two separate issues.

My Multibeast settings are here:

MultiBeast Configuration - 2014-01-13 10:45:37
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quick Start > UserDSDT - /Users/flickadmin/Desktop/hackintosh crap/DSDT-GAZ68XP-
UD3-F10.aml
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > With DSDT > ALC889
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820
Drivers > Network > Realtek - AppleRTL8169Ethernet 2.0.6
Drivers > System > Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement > OS X 10.9.0
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > GraphicsEnabler=Yes
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop