Contribute
Register

[Solved]Interested to take a graphic card that can be overclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97M-Plus
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
Wishing to upgrade my hardware, I am currently looking at Gtx 1070 graphics cards. I wonder if it is interesting to take a card that we can overclock because the settings for this are only accessible by a software compatible with windows. Can it be easier to take a basic model without that and less expensive ?

All graphics cards can be overclocked - even cheap and useless GT210 cards can be overclocked.

The better GTX1070 cards have better cooling solutions, come with higher frequency settings (boost clock) for the processor and RAM.
In the EVGA lineup the models go something like this;

1070 Ref - base model
1070 SC
1070 SC2
1070 SC Black
1070 Hybrid
1070 FTW

The SC models are good cards, but you might get a FTW for a better price which has improved cooling and is a slightly better card.

Thank you.
Okay, if I understand correctly, at Evga, overclocking is already done by default in the factory on the graphics card? Because at MSI (gaming x) or Asus (strix) for example, the different settings are made by the proprietary software of the brand (gaming mode, base, etc. ..).

All manufacturers produce cards that are more, simple basic models and a few with slightly better performance and better cooling hardware to facilitate higher overclocks (some models are indeed overclocked a small amount by default) or just run cooler throughout their life time.

MSI can produce a card like the 1070 Armour which has a minimal and basic cooling heatsink/fan design (often popular for those that then buy third party water cooling options.) The MSI gaming X is at the other end of the 1070 MSI range. It has a very expensive heatsink design and larger better fans with improved bearings for longer life - it will cost much more to buy than the Armour, but it will not give a lite user the best value. These cards are factory overclocked to give a small performance boost OOTB - they are enthusiast grade models that are excellent for further overclocking.

Cards like the lower spec Armour (or equivalent from all other card vendors) will, run fine in a well cooled case if they are kept at stock settings. These models would likely suit your requirements well, but do check local pricing as you may be able to get a slightly better performing card with a more expensive cooler for similar or even less money.

For users that not overclocking and are just looking for a 'good' card that offers good value for low to medium use, then look for a card that you like the look of, the price is appealing and that you can easily get in your region. You might find that the base model cards are more expensive than some of the slightly better cards - thereby offering you better value for money today and probably a slightly better resell value if you come to sell the card in the future as part of a system upgrade.

Any card with 'gaming' in the manufacturers model reference, will have an additional 'gaming tax' applied to the price for those looking for a card that is good for gaming. All cards are good for gaming, some have a more profitable gaming tax applied for the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back