Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]Dual booting Mac OS X and Win7 from separate HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
shazzam said:
Hi guys I'm am in the same boat as Karshi was. I am dual booting Win7 and OSX from two different hard drives. In my case they are both 320GB (OSX is SATA, Win7 is IDE). I also have an internal 2tb SATA Drive that I would like to share between the OS as storage for media.

I don't have any problems booting to either OS (as long as I specify which drive to boot from in the BIOS.) My problem is the shared 2tb drive only shows up in OSX. I initially formatted the 2tb in Win7 as NTSC, it showed up fine and I copied a bunch of files over to it. Then I installed OSX on a spare SATA HDD and the 2tb drive showed up fine (and I copied some files over from OSX). Now when I boot back to Win7 the 2tb drive doesn't show up, not even in the drive manager. I did the fix that Karshi fixed his problem with, but now I'm stuck. The drive shows up in Win7 when I put the BIOS back to SATA/IDE instead of AHCI. Is there any fix to see the drive in both?

I would like to use the drive to move files back and forth between the OS'S. Thanks in advance!

System:

gigabyte p35-ds3r f13
Intel Q6600
ati 5770
HDD
IDE 320Gb Win7
SATA 320Gb OS X10.6.8
SATA 2Tb media
If Win7 is IDE installed, you need to enable AHCI. Boot to Win7 and go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us and click on the fixit now button or read the instructions below and edit the registry by hand. Reboot to BIOS and change the SATA ports to AHCI. Make OS X your first hd in the hd boot order in BIOS.
Format the shared drive as MS DOS FAT32 using OS X disk utility - both OS X and Win7 can read/write to it.

I already applied the fix in Win7 with SATA/IDE mode active in the BIOS. The 2tb drive works fine as long as I keep the BIOS in SATA/IDE for Win7. I can even see/write the OSX Boot disk in Win7(AHCI) using MacDisk, but not the larger media drive. I really don't want the 4GB limit of FAT32, do you think that is my only option for seamless sharing?

Thanks

Sorry to tread cap but I have an idea. I cloned an image of my Win7 installation, formatted the drive, then put Win7 back onto it. I did all of this with the BIOS in IDE mode. If I reformated the drive in AHCI mode, then cloned the image over still in ACHI, do you think I would be able to see the 2tb drive in Win7?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back