Intel Core I7-6700K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 980 TI
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone;
First post, i need some help/clarifications/directions.
I ran El Capitan for a few years without problem. Lately I decided to update to High Sierra, and it worked for a few days until I deleted the EFI partition by accident. I am unable now to load the OS installation (High Sierra) and my flashdrive won't load anymore the OS installation, i am able to select the flashdrive but it won't load the OS, and the computer will reboot.
Board is Gigabyte MSI Z170MX gaming 5
GTX 980 TI
SSD samsung 850 pro evo

I ran the flags -v and -x and i don't see anything
I did a minimum to POST: 1 stick of ram, no other device other than keyboard and mouse.
I created the flashdrive with the latest unibeast.
I also don't see anymore my Mac OS partition from the flashdrive, I do see my OS partition from the BIOS.

So far right now, I am trying to scratch my head why the flashdrive won't load the OS. I think something might be wrong in the clover settings?

Thank you everyone that can help me on this issue. I've been banging my head on the desk for the last 5 hours.

Update 1: I managed to find my old flash drive with El Capitan, I fixed the boot, I can re-install the system with El Capitan to High Sierra, that should not be an issue.

I am trying to understand why i can't directly install High Sierra from this flash-drive or any other flash drive for that matter.

Update 2: that flashdrive won't work on any computer. I don't think the flashdrive is defective. I believe some Kexts might be the issue with High Sierra? I have several other flashdrives with High Sierra and same issue.
On the other end, i have never encountered issues with El Capitan.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
You should read the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.

whoops. apologies, the profile has been updated :)

Okay, so it seems like i resolved my issue, I had to use 2 different machines to narrow it down. The first error was a setting that changed in my BIOS, this error was making the flash drive reboot before complete initialization of the OS install. Then I cleaned up my KEXT folder for the El Capitan version. I also did a new High Sierra flash drive, and I was able to install the OS directly without going through El Capitan. I haven't reproduced the test yet on the 2d machine, which is the one I am posting this content right now.
I probably should write a longer post because people might run on those problems, and although there were not really complicated, I was not prepared to re-install the OS from scratch since there was obviously a learning curve. In the end, it turned out all good phewww :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back