CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Motherboard: AsRock C226 WS+
CPU: i7-4700
Graphics: using Intel integrated
Disk: Samsung 850

I've successfully installed 10.13.6 several times using the USB stick I created with Unibeast. However, I can't seem to get Clover to install correctly on the SSD's EFI boot partition. I've tried Multibeast, both just clicking the "do the minimum basics" button and going through and setting up all the appropriate drivers. I've tried forcing 10.13.6 to install without converting the boot disk to APFS. I've even tried mounting the SSD's EFI boot partition to manually replace its EFI folder with the one from the working USB stick. Nothing works.

When I attempt to boot the SSD without the USB stick plugged in, what I see in the UEFI BIOS boot menu is two entries, both titled "Mac OS X". Selecting either one results in a BIOS error screen that basically asks me to connect a real bootable drive and press a key to continue.

Any ideas? This is quite frustrating since Clover's working fine on the USB stick.

p.s. There are no disks containing other operating systems present. Just a single SSD which starts out blank and becomes a High Sierra install, and the High Sierra USB installer created by Unibeast.

Update: I tried an experiment. I had another SSD and a USB-to-SATA converter cable, so I used my real Mac to make that SSD into an installer with Unibeast. I then tried booting the C226 using that SSD in two ways:

1. connected via the USB-SATA converter
2. direct connection to a C226 ICH SATA port (the C226 WS+ has a couple of Marvell SATA chips and I made sure to not use those for any of this)

The result: #1 works, #2 fails in the exact same way as a Multibeast Clover install.

I'm assuming there might be some problem with my motherboard's BIOS. It is the latest version AsRock has released (2.40).

I've had this exact same problem and also tried disabling the APFS option to find a cure. It made no difference.

I've ended up with a working Mac HS system on a single SSD partition with no other partitions such as Recovery or EFI. Running MultiBeast reports success in installing files to SSD yet there is no EFI, so I have no idea where the files are being copied to.

If I find a solution I'll post on here but currently the system only boots from USB clover install. Incidentally my motherboard is very old and does not have UEFI so I'm using legacy boot option but this may be the source of the problem. The hardware might only boot of EFI on USB but not on hard drive or SSD - I have no idea why.

If you find anything please post!

Frog

Thanks, this was the issue. I created a Fedora 28 live USB and followed the guide in the first link, and was able to create a working UEFI boot menu entry pointing at Clover.

Thanks, I've seen something similar but just using Terminal which might be a bit easier. Here's a link. I do find it odd that popular software like MultiBeast is messing up this process but I suppose old boards like this are not super popular for Hackintosh. I've previously had El Cap booting like a champ from the same computer so I know it's possible.

FrogBlast (or, should I say... BOB?), I'd give that a try.

:headbang:;) :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back