HD 7970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 20th Anniv. Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've started a new thread based on my better understanding of the problem...

I cloned my existing Sierra SSD to a new SSD and verified that it booted correctly.

I followed the instructions in the "Update Directly to Mac OS High Sierra" thread here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

...and the update seemed to complete successfully: the drive rebooted twice, and in each case I booted from the "Install Mac OS" partition that had apparently been created. The last part of the install process took about half an hour and was probably converting the drive to APFS.

After the conversion completed, the system rebooted one last time...but although Clover came up, it showed no bootable volumes.

Here's how the drive looks in DiskUtil:

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk2 1000.0 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: APFS Container Scheme - +1000.0 GB disk2
Physical Store disk1s2
1: APFS Volume High Sierra Neu 842.0 GB disk2s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 18.0 MB disk2s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 520.8 MB disk2s3

So the EFI partition is there. I can even mount it using EFI Mounter and all the required files and kexts seem to be correct. However, as noted, Clover doesn't consider the drive bootable. Maybe reinstalling Clover would help? I downloaded the 2.4k_r4289 Clover installer and it doesn't see the drive either, so I can't try reinstalling Clover.

So...something's wrong with my EFI partition. But what?

apfs.efi appears to have been the issue.

Now, I did have it in the correct place-- in fact it was installed by UniBeast, I believe. However it seems we need different versions of the driver for each version of High Sierra. I made sure to download the very latest version-- 10.13.2?-- before creating my installer key.

However, that apfs.efi version was a file 332KB in size. When I re-downloaded it, the new version was substantially larger at 550KB or so.

Once I dragged that into my Clover folder, everything started working.

I got the new version here: Latest apfs.efi

That does bring up a troubling issue: do we really need to update apfs.efi for each new system version? Having an update to, say, 10.13.3 render my computer unbootable would be...annoying.

unibeast high Sierra works on my desktop pc. but does not work on my dell laptop... my current error there is that I cannot see the high Sierra drive

also after installing apfs.efi driver it mass up my clover boot images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back