Contribute
Register

Silent Build arround i9-10980XE for music production

Status
Not open for further replies.
OS
Mojave (compatible with TC Powercore drivers)
Very important point. It's rather difficult to install and run Mojave on a Z490 system. Catalina will work so investigate whether your software and plugins are ready for Catalina. If you must have Mojave instead then build with the Z390 Designare motherboard. You'd lose two cores but it would be fully compatible.

Last edited:
CaseySJ's Z490 Golden Build fits that description. Check in Golden Builds. Use the 10th gen 10 core Intel i9. For a stable and reliable audio workstation, you can't do much better than this. You'll be amazed at what it can do. As for the case and cooling system, simply duplicate what Casey has purchased. You'll want a quiet air cooled system as opposed to a noisy AIO liquid cooled build. Those are pretty much mandatory with a power hungry 10980XE CPU. If you want to use the larger Fractal Design case that is good too. May have much more space than you need unless you've got numerous mechanical HDDs.

From the Golden Build: Z490 Vision D

For graphics, make sure to buy an RX 570 or 580 that has the fan stop feature. This means the GPU fans won't even spin up unless the the card reaches a certain temperature. No added fan noise helps greatly for audio recording studios.
Yes. My kit is really silent. Z390/9900k/Fractal Design/Noctua/MSI RX480 with fan stop. I can record acoustic instruments right in front of my hack with a sensitive Neumann KM184.

CaseySJ's Z490 Golden Build fits that description. Check in Golden Builds. Use the 10th gen 10 core Intel i9. For a stable and reliable audio workstation, you can't do much better than this. You'll be amazed at what it can do. As for the case and cooling system, simply duplicate what Casey has purchased. You'll want a quiet air cooled system as opposed to a noisy AIO liquid cooled build. Those are pretty much mandatory with a power hungry 10980XE CPU. If you want to use the larger Fractal Design case that is good too. May have much more space than you need unless you've got numerous mechanical HDDs.

From the Golden Build: Z490 Vision D

For graphics, make sure to buy an RX 570 or 580 that has the fan stop feature. This means the GPU fans won't even spin up unless the the card reaches a certain temperature. No added fan noise helps greatly for audio recording studios.
Thanks!

Is there a mother

Attachments

• 1610376862228.png
    1610376862228.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 49
Friends, I need Mojave. Otherwyse my TC powercore won’t work. Is z390 designare the only option? If I go with it, everything else stays the same in the build?

If I go with it, everything else stays the same in the build?
You'd need to use the 9th gen core i9 like the i9-9900K as the tenth gen i9 can't work in the Z390 socket. Other than that everything else including NVMe drives and ram will work.

The WS x299 sage 10gig with the 10980xe has a open core build in x299 Big Sur support . You can buy both those parts and just boot with a copy of the iso and an installer on a usb key. I have a similar build with a x299 prime deluxe with thunderbolt card (RME ufx+) and pci Uad. It never fails and I use it everyday in my studio. It runs on Mojave. If I had to rebuild today I would buy the sage 10g and 10980.
It has become increasingly difficult to build a hackintosh these days on Mojave.

I bought most acusticas but nowadays don’t use them. Their compression sucks. Their eq is ok but I have a better time with MAAT blue and DMG, DDMF and Tokyo Dawn plugins. Cheaper, better quality.

Sorry to say this here but I think you may be trying to build a hack when a real mac would be better and a lot cheaper. Take a look at the reviews of music production on the M1 macs (see youtube and other places). I know little of music production but those who do, seem universally blown away by the performance and report silly large numbers for the number of effects and plugins they can run without any issues. $900 dollars gets you a mac mini with 16GB of ram (16GB on a m1 Mac is not comparable to 16Gb on an Intel machine).

You may find that the current M1 Macs don't meet your needs because they only have 2 thunderbolt ports, or currently lack the compatibility for all the software you want to use but overall it seems the music people are more than happy doing pro level production work on $900 dollar machines.

Last edited:
Sorry to say this here but I think you may be trying to build a hack when a real mac would be better and a lot cheaper. Take a you look at the reviews of music production on the M1 macs (see youtube and other places). I know little of music production but those who do, seem universally blown away by the performance and report silly large numbers for the number of effects and plugins they can run without any issues. $900 dollars gets you a mac mini with 16GB of ram (16GB on a m1 Mac is not comparable to 16Gb on an Intel machine).

You may find that the current M1 Macs don't meet your needs because they only have 2 thunderbolt ports, or currently lack the compatibility for all the software you want to use but overall it seems the music people are more than happy doing pro level production work on $900 dollar machines.
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. Acustica requires much more power than an m1 can deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back