Contribute
Register

Sierra Multibeast kext install fails / When is a kext update actualy needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
CPU
i7-4770S
Graphics
RX 570
As part of my recent upgrade from El Capitan, I successfully updated Clover to r4173 using Multibeast 9.2.1, the one recommended for Sierra.

Once I'd got Sierra installed, and was considering upgrading to High Sierra, I thought that I should probably update my FakeSMC.kext, and I have read on here that you need to also update the hardware sensor kexts / HW monitor program to the same versions. Which makes sense.

So, I had version 6.18-313 of the above kexts, and I tried to use the Sierra Multibeast to update the FakeSMC/sensors/HWmonitor, choosing them from the Drivers/Misc menu. It would install version 6.25-333, it said.

However, I got an error. From the Multibeast log:

02/19/20
14:07:18 - Starting MultiBeast 9.2.1-20180221 02/19/20
14:07:40 - Mounting EFI 02/19/20 14:07:41 - Installing 'Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759' 02/19/20
14:07:49 - Install of '/Applications/MultiBeast_Sierra_9-2-1.app/Contents/Resources/FakeSMC-v6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759.pkg' failed.
'installer: Package name is FakeSMC-v6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.) '.
Exiting.

So my first question is: any ideas why this didn't work? I looked in my Library/Extensions folder and saw that FakeSMC.kext had actually updated, but the other kexts were still the old version.

In the end I used the El Capitan Multibeast to restore the 6.318-333 version, so that all the versions would be the same. I have now succesfully updated to High Sierra, and am still on the same kexts (including the AppleIntelE1000e version 3.3.3 from El Capitan.)

So my second question is: at what point do you actually need to update kexts? Should you wait for the old kext to stop working? How much risk is there in installing the new kexts every time you update the OS?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. :)

Update:

In the end, I kept the El Capitan kexts for Sierra and High Sierra and all worked fine!

Having problems now I've upgraded to Mojave, only in that the app store crashes, which I see from posts on here can be a kext issue. Everything else I use, mainly Logic and audio type software, works perfectly.

I will, finally, update FakeSMC etc to the latest Mojave versions, via Multibeast, and report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back