i5-750
Graphics
HD 5450
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so this is probably the question, no one asks. But.. I have 10.13.4 perfectly working on my SSD. I have cloned my HDD install onto this SSD. It was in HFS+ on my HDD so is HFS+ on my SSD. I just had a successful security update on 10.13.4 too.

a) is it a good idea to convert HFS+ on my SSD to APFS?
b) can I do that without losing data i.e. without wiping and installing from scratch?

Ok, so this is probably the question, no one asks. But.. I have 10.13.4 perfectly working on my SSD. I have cloned my HDD install onto this SSD. It was in HFS+ on my HDD so is HFS+ on my SSD. I just had a successful security update on 10.13.4 too.

b) can I do that without losing data i.e. without wiping and installing from scratch?

Check this blog post out by Pike R Alpha, a very astute programmer and once major contributor to the community:

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/do-i-use-apfs/

Yes you can. Back Up all data with Time Machine then install from Time Machine. Time Machine Convert HFS+ to APFS automatically.

Probably, APFS is a modern and more reliable filesystem. HFS+ was created to maintain compatibility with old pre-OS X macs and not because anyone thought it was a good idea.

I've taken the plunge despite warnings and I don't think I am regretting anything yet. It is so snappy and I've almost forgotten it is APFS in less than half a day. I only feel it better when using certain apps that are heavy in data I/O.

Back in February I upgraded to a Samsung 960 EVO NVME drive and went the APFS route and have no regrets or problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back