Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
CPU
Core i5
Graphics
NVidia GTX 790
Most of the details are in the topic title, but here's the situation.

I was given some hardware, including a GTX 1070 Founder's Edition, 16 GB of DDR4 memory and an i5 6600k. I also have a case, PSU, SDD (and will probably get a couple more for this build).

What I need advice on is the motherboard. I'm trying to optimize cost (< $200 would be nice if possible) and the time it will take to get the system up and running. I'm more than capable of the "hack" in hackintosh, but at this point I'd like to spend as little time on it as possible. So the easier it is to get installed, the better. Of course, the more on the board that works the better as well, but I'm willing to sacrifice there. For example, I don't need WiFi or Bluetooth, but I really do like using sleep.

I'm willing to go a couple generations back as well. I would like to run Mojave, but I'd be ok with High Sierra as well.

Any recommendations?

Most of the details are in the topic title, but here's the situation.

I was given some hardware, including a GTX 1070 Founder's Edition, 16 GB of DDR4 memory and an i5 6600k. I also have a case, PSU, SDD (and will probably get a couple more for this build).

What I need advice on is the motherboard. I'm trying to optimize cost (< $200 would be nice if possible) and the time it will take to get the system up and running. I'm more than capable of the "hack" in hackintosh, but at this point I'd like to spend as little time on it as possible. So the easier it is to get installed, the better. Of course, the more on the board that works the better as well, but I'm willing to sacrifice there. For example, I don't need WiFi or Bluetooth, but I really do like using sleep.

I'm willing to go a couple generations back as well. I would like to run Mojave, but I'd be ok with High Sierra as well.

Any recommendations?

You ARE going to have to go back at least a couple generations if you want to use your i5 6600K (6th generation). The current Intel CPUs are 9th generation and the new 10th generation, the corresponding motherboards will NOT work with the 6600K.

You are going to have to find second hand motherboards (as they are already phased out) based on the 100 and 200 series chipsets in order to use the 6600K. For example motherboards based on the Z170 and Z270 chipsets (like my GA-Z270X-UD5) should work. These motherboards should be compatible with MacOS High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

The GTX 1070 is not supported on MacOS Mojave and Catalina due to lack of Nvidia drivers. If you want to use it the latest MacOS version you can use is MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back