Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 - Fan Noise at low RPM / CHnage fan curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming Ultra 2.0 - F11
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Hi all,

I recently build a new rig and made it a Hackintosh. I had extreme coil whine at the beginning when the RX580 was under load and whenever there was Ethernet traffic. It turned out to be the PSU. I changed from a CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650 to a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11, that made the trick for most of it. I still have some coil whine when the onboard Ethernet has data traffic, but not so loud anymore. The coil whine is and was however always the same under Windows and macOS.

When the fans of the Nitro RX580 start turning at the lowest RPM after the 0 RPM state, there is a grinding sound that bothers me. First, I thought it is still coil whine. Has anyone had similar experience with the card? Should I RMA the card?

It would be good to be able to monitor the fan speed of the GPU under macOS, though. I haven't found a tool yet. HWMonitor shows only GPU Die temperature (and I am nor sure if that value is correct). When a second screen is connected, temperature is higher and fan starts earlier.

And how to control the fan speed of the GPU? Under Windows, there are several tools, including Sapphire's own Trixx. Since eGPU is now officially supported in macOS, will Sapphire or other GPU vendors start offering tools like Trixx or MSI Afterburner for macOS?

I would like to change the fan curve to stay a little longer at 0 RPM and start later. I am considering modyfing the BIOS of the card, maybe even undervolt a bit to consume less energy, but haven't made my way yet through the tools and guides (ATIWinflash, Polaris Bios Editor and whatever elese you find when you Goolge this, mostly landing on some mining forums ...)

Anyone had similar experience with the Sapphire Nitro+ RX580?

By way of update, the ball baering of the fans were damaged. After replacement, no noticeable noice by the fans anymore under normal conditions (i.e. no GPU calculation):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back