Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are there safe overclock settings for the i7 - 950 processor?

Can they be explained in a simple language that's easy to understand?

Thanks
Michael

wavesequence said:
Are there safe overclock settings for the i7 - 950 processor?

Can they be explained in a simple language that's easy to understand?

Thanks
Michael
couple of thread down there is a link for a guide for overclocking. Just read that over and do some research first on your own. If you still have any specific question then, post here and I'm sure people will try to help. right now the answer for your question depend on too many variables. To cover them all in one thread is too much & redundant.

Thanks shinew ;)

Overclocking was just a thought because I don't really know if it's worth for my tasks: HD recording and 3D rendering.
Perhaps I should invest in a better GPU and a good processor such as i7 950.

Please have a look and follow a guide I found to overclocking the i7 series CPus

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7029

Using that I got my i7930 up from 2.8Ghz stock to over 3.8Ghz with still some safe temps and it's rock solid. I think I could push it further but that's far enough for me.

The 950 should be able to reach 4Ghz at least with no problems.

But be prepared to spend a good afternoon or two going through the settings one by one and please don't just jump straight into someone's settings because it is a great learning experience and you will at least know what to do to try and get it working.

Also I'd get a copy of Windows up and running on a seperate HD to help as you'll need it for the stability testing and temperature monitoring.

notshy

Thanks for your really serious advices ;)

All in all you told me what I already had thought, though in a less precise way. :)
In fact my goal is to have separate Hds and operating systems.
I'm not in the mood and capacity to handle multiple partitions onto a single HD.

And about overclocking, I'll surely spend a period running stock, i.e. in order to fine tuning my OSX Snow Leopard install, then I'll switch to Win7 to attempt a safe OC.

By the way, I'm used to Win7 64bit but I remember that both tony and MacMan suggested an application to test OC that runs under Win7 32bit.
Are there any problems running these 32 bit applications under Win7 64bit?

Thanks
Michael

I've not had any issues with my version of Win 7 64

wavesequence said:
notshy

Thanks for your really serious advices ;)

All in all you told me what I already had thought, though in a less precise way. :)
In fact my goal is to have separate Hds and operating systems.
I'm not in the mood and capacity to handle multiple partitions onto a single HD.

And about overclocking, I'll surely spend a period running stock, i.e. in order to fine tuning my OSX Snow Leopard install, then I'll switch to Win7 to attempt a safe OC.

By the way, I'm used to Win7 64bit but I remember that both tony and MacMan suggested an application to test OC that runs under Win7 32bit.
Are there any problems running these 32 bit applications under Win7 64bit?

Thanks
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back