Contribute
Register

Rumor: BCLK Overclocking Back with Intel's Haswell CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This could be a lot of fun. Brings back memories of a lot of hours spent trying to get that last little bit out of a cpu.

Not very easy this time like we did with FSB years ago, there are some strap and can be oced some more mhz.

FSB Overclocking is so much more fun and very challenging.

I mean Multi-ocing is just boring:
1. raise Multi by 1.
2. check if its stable.
3. stable?
yes! - good! repeat step 1 and 2 until it will get unstable or too hot.
no! - Bump the Voltage and return to the second step again until you hit too high voltages.

On a board w/o Vcore settings its even worse:
1.raise Multi by 1.
2. check if its stable.
3. stable?
yes! - good! repeat step 1 and 2 until it will get unstable or too hot.
no! - Blame those greedy bastards at Gigabyte for not enabling Vcoresettings on your "budget" 120$ board.

Sorry for that little rant.

The BCLK over clocking will likely be what we currently have with Sandy Bridge-E: adjusting a FSB multiplier before the CPU clock multiplier. The likely scenario for this addition is that Haswell's integrated GPU will likely have its own independent FSB multiplier.

The BCLK over clocking will likely be what we currently have with Sandy Bridge-E: adjusting a FSB multiplier before the CPU clock multiplier. The likely scenario for this addition is that Haswell's integrated GPU will likely have its own independent FSB multiplier.

Maybe, maybe not. If they are going to add another clock generator, the question becomes which one controls the other components, i.e. PCI, IMC, etc. This (just as the articles listed) is pure speculation, but if the goal is to isolate GPU and CPU activity, it would make sense to have the CPU on its own generator, meaning BCLK adjustment would be much easier than previous approaches, as CPU BCLK adjustments would not effect memory/PCI speeds (no need for straps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back