Contribute
Register

Restored drive from CCC Backup - Unbootable (EFI Partition missing?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed one small problem since successfully booting from the restored drive. Images no longer display a preview in Finder or on the desktop. I have to open the file to see what it looks like. Could this have something to do with not including the "APPLE" folder in the EFI partition?

Could this have something to do with not including the "APPLE" folder in the EFI partition?
The Apple folder has nothing to do with that. Are you speaking of the quick look function ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 1.15.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 1.15.30 PM.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
on my desktop I would see a small thumbnail version (preview icons) of the image, but now it doesn't show.
Have you rebooted yet to see if that brings them back ?

It's very strange, since I've tried multiple suggestions to restore the icon previews. The only thing that has changed is restoring the EFI folders from a backup.

I've tried deleting com.apple.Preview.plist & com.apple.finder.plist and stopping the task com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent in the Activity Monitor, and confirmed that the show icon preview box is checked under Finder "Show View Options." I've restarted several times.

Any ideas if there is another file that may have been corrupted, or process that must be stopped?

There have been several similar cases previously, use the forum Search tool for details.

Example :

There have been several similar cases previously, use the forum Search tool for details.

Example :
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this method, but icon previews still don't work.

I finally solved the issue with icon preview on the desktop. I realized that only PNG files didn't work (JPEG worked), and found this thread. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252052954

I right-clicked "Get Info" on Desktop, and selected "Apply to enclosed items."

That was it! Now PNG files show icon preview.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 1.14.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 1.14.36 PM.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back