Contribute
Register

(resolved by changing brand of the disc) Big Sur issue with Samsung 970 evo plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus TUF Z490-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi guys,

I have a brand new Hackintosh and a strange problem appears with my Samsung 970 evo plus 256Go.
Writing speed is droping for no reason, and reading speed seems a little bit under his capabilities (see screenshot).
Do you have any idea what could cause this problem ?
I have the feeling its arriving especially with big files, in Disk Speed Test writing speed is around 2100 MB/s with 1Gb files, but larger speed is droping.
Firmware is up to date for the SSD.

Thanks for your help !

Suma

Attachments

• config.plist
    17.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 à 10.24.17.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 à 10.24.17.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 46
actually there are no issue with the firmware and he is up to date, and I reach 3500Mo/s on Windows in Read mode... and 2300 Mo/s in Write mode, with no issue. So I guess it's Hackintosh related...

Hi guys,

I have a brand new Hackintosh and a strange problem appears with my Samsung 970 evo plus 256Go.
Writing speed is droping for no reason, and reading speed seems a little bit under his capabilities (see screenshot).
Do you have any idea what could cause this problem ?
I have the feeling its arriving especially with big files, in Disk Speed Test writing speed is around 2100 MB/s with 1Gb files, but larger speed is droping.
Firmware is up to date for the SSD.

Thanks for your help !

Suma

Hello,

Just to let you know the resolution of my case :
- I have made a fresh install and disable Filevault, and the speed in writing/reading mode was a little bit better. But still, there were issues with writing, speed was droping round 200/300 Mb/s.
- Nothing seemed to help so, I decided to change the disc, I have bought a WD Black SN750, and wooooo ! No more issue, full speed in writing, almost full in reading mode (around 2900 Mb/s).
Using Filevault here, hasn't changed anything in the speed behavior, everything is fine with this new disc.

So, I strongly suggest to avoid using Samsung 970 evo plus in your Hackintosh, regarding my experience and a lots of things I have red on this forum, it is not the best idea.

Cheers.

Suma

Hello,

Just to let you know the resolution of my case :
- I have made a fresh install and disable Filevault, and the speed in writing/reading mode was a little bit better. But still, there were issues with writing, speed was droping round 200/300 Mb/s.
- Nothing seemed to help so, I decided to change the disc, I have bought a WD Black SN750, and wooooo ! No more issue, full speed in writing, almost full in reading mode (around 2900 Mb/s).
Using Filevault here, hasn't changed anything in the speed behavior, everything is fine with this new disc.

So, I strongly suggest to avoid using Samsung 970 evo plus in your Hackintosh, regarding my experience and a lots of things I have red on this forum, it is not the best idea.

Cheers.

Suma
Not absolutely certain but I think the 970 evo plus glitch was fixed with a firmware update.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back