Contribute
Register

[solved] Requesting help for Sierra installation on Dell Inspiron 15 7548 4k TouchScreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might also be a refresh rate issue... (although it seems strange the problem wouldn't show at the other scaled resolutions).
Roger, I'll try @59Hz

@RehabMan

I clicked by mistake on the low resolution mode, and that did the trick!!! Now, I'll just have to modify and add to the display plist 4k resolution and it should be golden!
Thank you man! If you wouldn't have told be to check the refresh rate I would have never stumbled on the low resolution mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 17.16.44.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 17.16.44.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 115
@RehabMan
I updated the plist for display override, but it seems that 3360x1890 is the highest I can select, I will call this a success, it's more than I even hoped to achieve!
Only thing that remains is the Wireless card which I need to replace (and will on payday).
After that, I'll have to fix iMessage (which isn't really needed, because I never really used it even when I had a real mac).
Should I change the post to Solved? Or set it on Hold for when I have the wireless card up and running (and maybe iMessage as well).

Thank you for all the help man, this is epic!

Attachments

• 2017-03-24 17.46.05.jpg
    2017-03-24 17.46.05.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 122
@RehabMan

I clicked by mistake on the low resolution mode, and that did the trick!!! Now, I'll just have to modify and add to the display plist 4k resolution and it should be golden!
Thank you man! If you wouldn't have told be to check the refresh rate I would have never stumbled on the low resolution mode.

But I guess that 1920x1080 is not a HiDPI mode, which means it will be less quality than a HiDPI 1920x1080...

But I guess that 1920x1080 is not a HiDPI mode, which means it will be less quality than a HiDPI 1920x1080...

True, but it still looks very well, and if i go past 2560x1440 it gets too small to view.
Do you suggest i should dig in deeper? Is there anything more i could do to fix the display?

Just figured hdmi out ain't working but i'll get on to fixing it, will post updates as soon as i finish that.

True, but it still looks very well, and if i go past 2560x1440 it gets too small to view.
Do you suggest i should dig in deeper? Is there anything more i could do to fix the display?

Just figured hdmi out ain't working but i'll get on to fixing it, will post updates as soon as i finish that.

Dig as much as you want... it all depends on your tolerance for things not working...

Dig as much as you want... it all depends on your tolerance for things not working...
I've started a week ago, another week or two won't stop me now. If it's possible then it's worth the effort!
I'll take another go on it and change DVMT-prealloc to 128MB and check your post on HiDPI maybe i find some clues there.

@RehabMan
Hello again, I've stumbled onto something that might have been the cause for the display problems!
DVMT-prealloc is not persistent, I noticed something was wrong when I tried to change from 96MB to 128MB, the offset for my DVMT-prealloc is 0x1C3 which showed up as 0x02 (64MB), when I changed it to 0x04 (128MB). I knew for certain that I had previously set it to 96MB! So I decided to reboot the laptop and go back into the efi shell, and I tried to set again to 128MB, it should have said:
offset 0x1c3 is: 0x04 (from the previous change)
but instead it was at 0x02 again.
Got any idea towards this? I've already tried "unlocking" the bios, there was a guide on the forum about it (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-unable-to-change-dvmt-settings-dell-ami-bios.192035/) with the same result, it resets itself at every reboot.
Thanks!

Small update: downgraded bios from A07 to A05, redid the above mentioned unlock. It seems to have worked this time.
(I did not enter my servicetag number this time, left it as "unlocked").
Will proceed with reinstalling and starting from scratch so I can fix some past errors.

@RehabMan
I'm stuck and out of ideas regarding the Display resolutions, I've redid the whole process from 0, with DVMT-prealloc set at 128MB, but it still goes black if I don't select "Low Resolution Mode".
And one thing I did not manage to figure out is HDMI audio, though this isn't really needed since I don't use it outside of meetings and presentations (don't need audio over HDMI for those), I've patched it to Layout-ID 13, as I've seen everyone around that has a Dell Inspiron 15 7548. I'll come back to HDMI audio out and try different layout ids (though I haven't found a method to determine that, or I didn't know what exactly to look for).
Should I upload the Problem Reporting required files or is there anything extra needed for diagnosing the display?

Everything else works! Sleep, touchscreen, audio after sleep, MAS, even the SDcard reader (it worked OOB).

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back