Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

firstly I've searched frantically and can't find the answers to my questions so I'm resorting to posting :)
im freakin out because my nice 10.8.3 dual boot machine no longer boots.

i removed the Ubuntu partitions as described in a guide and now grub won't load obviously because I removed the partition but I cant even boot using chimera on a USB stick!
chimera loads into the cli and I press enter to boot and it says it can't find mach_kernel.
ive tried various commands to tell it where mach kernel is but nothing happens.
i can boot into Ubuntu from a memory stick and see that mach kernel is in fact in the root of the osx partition.

Firstly- have I or could I have accidentally deleted a vital osx partition when removing Ubuntu from my hdd. There is only one partition left and its sda0x2 and it still has all my files and folders and such on...
secondly how do I get osx to boot straight away from chimera again?
bear in mind I can't boot into osx to do anything.

thirdly when getting grub to pass the boot chain down to chimera I added either boot or boot0 to the root of my hdd. Which one Gould I remove?

thanks in advance for your help!!

If you were using Grub to boot the system and chain to chameleon to boot to OS X and you now want to boot with Chameleon/Chimera you need to get rid of grub totally by purging it from the HDD. Use a Live DVD to boot Ubuntu, open a terminal and run this command:

sudo apt-get purge grub-common

This should get rid of grub.

You can now use iBoot (SL), rBoot or UniBeast USB installer (Lion or MtLion) to boot the system, then install Chimera to the HDD.

I freaked out as i had an important project for work due in the next day that i needed to finish so i re-installed Ubuntu which re-installed grub and everything is back to square one.

I still want to get rid of the Ubuntu Partition as i've virtualised it now which is much more convenient!

I've Run Multibeast and installed Chimera, so in theory if i purge grub from the HDD - will Chimera take over as the bootloader?

Many thanks for your help!!

I freaked out as i had an important project for work due in the next day that i needed to finish so i re-installed Ubuntu which re-installed grub and everything is back to square one.

I still want to get rid of the Ubuntu Partition as i've virtualised it now which is much more convenient!

I've Run Multibeast and installed Chimera, so in theory if i purge grub from the HDD - will Chimera take over as the bootloader?

Many thanks for your help!!

To keep Grub from installing to the HDD MBR, when you get to the screen where you have options to "install" or Something Else", select the "Something Else" - this allows you to partition the drive as you need and select the partition to install Grub. You can install to root or you can create a /boot partition and choose to install Grub there. This has the advantage that Chimera can now see the Ubuntu partition as bootable and you can choose it from the Chimera selection screen and boot it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back