i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,
I've been lurking for a while and reading as much as I could about the hackintosh movement over the past several months while I save my pennies. So now I have $1500 saved for a new build. I've read through all the posts on the Music board and many posts in the rest of the forums. I'm especially concerned about the NullCPUPowerManagement discussion, but that'll be for later.

Some quick background. I currently use Logic Pro 9 for audio production, coupled with various plugs, and use a Presonus Firestudio as my interface via FW400. I have a Drobo that I use for longer term project storage, etc. I also do photography work, some video work and occasionally play a game.

My main concern is stability, is it worth looking at Sandy Bridge with this in mind? I'd really like to strive for everything to work OOB, if possible, though I know that it's not always guaranteed. I wanted to ask about a cooler and case. I'll be recording in the same room so I want to make sure I get a quiet case and cooler. The guy from nofilmschool used an Antec P183 case and a Corsair H50 cooler after doing some noise tests.

Also, since I'll need Firewire 400 & 800, I assume I can just handle that with a PCI/PCIe card. I also assume that the onboard audio works on the X58 mobos, for headphones and what not when I don't want to power on the interface. I also plan to put in an SSD as the system drive.

So...if you were getting ready to buy and build, what would you be looking at? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

you're in the same position as me man.

i have a similar budget (in GBP £ though).

I'm in the process of building an GA-X58-UD5 rig with an i7 970 processor 12gig ram.
It's a popular setup and there is lots of information on guides on very similar builds to this.
I'm not convinced that Sandy Bridge is the way to go just yet, and I'm not waiting on Ivy Bridge.

I've just got a Define R3 Silver Arrow case.

Cooler wise, i'm tied between a noctua nh-d14 or a corsair cooler (will get quieter fans).

mine also has to be as silent as physically possible as i'm recording vocals and acoustic instruments in the same room.

I went ahead and purchased all the items this afternoon. Here's what I ended up with:

Intel i7 950 3.06GHZ
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
XFX 6870 HD-687A-ZNFC
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair 750HX power supply
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200k SATA (x2)
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD burner w/ Lightscribe
Rosewill PCIe 1394a/b card
nMediaPC ZE-C98 all in one card reader
Antec P183 v3 case

Will pickup a bluetooth adapter as well.

After all the rebates, this comes to roughly $1400. Not bad for that kind of power. I'll report back once everything is in and I get started on the build and install.

Careful selection the BT adapter w/o researching the forum. Most don't work with sleep/wake-up.

let me know how quiet your build is. hope it goes well.

Currently, I'm using an el cheapo that won't wake after sleep. I have to use an USB keyboard, hitting the Space Bar, to wake up Hacky.

I will be building one from NotShy's Guide: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=14836

I've found very few BT dongles give you wake after sleep, manual or scheduled.

Hi Johnny

I'm going to be building a hackintosh for Logic and Presonus Firestudio as well. hopefully order the parts in the next week or so. Please keep us updated as I'm intrigued to know if the Firestudio works ok.

Good Luck!!

It Lives! Had a problem with Corsair Vengeance RAM not being compatible with X58A-UD5 so I ordered 6x2GB of the Corsair XMS 1333Mhz and have one stick in. It came to life, I updated the BIOS and Snow Leopard is installing as we speak. Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back