Contribute
Register

Re: WIFI connection issues with new router (SOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WIFI connection issues with new router

Dewitts said:
I have both on my machine and both have the same outcome :(
@Dewitts
So, is this connection or authentication issue?

To isolate that I would use process of elimination by changing temporarily

"Wireless Mode" from mixed "11b+11g+11n" to "11g" only
and "Bandwith" to "20Mhz"
if this doesn't help
"Security" to "No security" If it works WEP first and WPA2 as desired.

BigDonkey said:
Dewitts said:
@Dewitts

if this doesn't help

Sorry BigDonkey I've only now seen this, I can remember from when I last went in and looked it is on mixed so i'll try your suggestion in the morning. It's getting late here.

BigDonkey said:
Dewitts said:
@Dewitts

if this doesn't help

it's alive IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Solution was to changed mixed 11b+11g+11n to 11b+11g (only other option was 11n)

For some reason I guess it recognised it was mac which is meant to be able run on 11n and probably defaulted to that signal. Problem is this is a hackintosh so not compatible.

Thanks BigDonkey :thumbup:

Dewitts said:
BigDonkey said:
Dewitts said:
@Dewitts

if this doesn't help

it's alive IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Solution was to changed mixed 11b+11g+11n to 11b+11g (only other option was 11n)

For some reason I guess it recognised it was mac which is meant to be able run on 11n and probably defaulted to that signal. Problem is this is a hackintosh so not compatible.

Thanks BigDonkey :thumbup:
Great to hear it worked for you :)
11n should be compatible with Atheros card. Can you list output of this command?

sudo kextstat | grep Ath

BigDonkey said:
11n should be compatible with Atheros card. Can you list output of this command?

sudo kextstat | grep Ath

You'd have thought so wouldn't you, Mind you I have changed the standard kext for the one you originally supplied for S/L in an effort to fix it but here's the output anyway.

71 0 0xffffff7f80ccf000 0xcc000 0xcc000 com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros21 (424.14.5) <70 69 9 7 5 4 3 1>

Dewitts said:
BigDonkey said:

sudo kextstat | grep Ath

You'd have thought so wouldn't you, Mind you I have changed the standard kext for the one you originally supplied for S/L in an effort to fix it but here's the output anyway.

71 0 0xffffff7f80ccf000 0xcc000 0xcc000 com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros21 (424.14.5) <70 69 9 7 5 4 3 1>
Atheros21 is not compatible with 11n mode
If you have Atheros40 and dsdt with Airport patch deleting Atheros21 should enable 11n mode
If don't have dsdt patch Info.plist inside IO80211Family/Plugins/Atheros40 folder needs addtitional entry 168c,2b in order to work fully with your new router.

BigDonkey said:
Dewitts said:
BigDonkey said:

sudo kextstat | grep Ath

Atheros21 is not compatible with 11n mode
If you have Atheros40 and dsdt with Airport patch deleting Atheros21 should enable 11n mode
If don't have dsdt patch Info.plist inside IO80211Family/Plugins/Atheros21 folder needs addtitional entry 168c,2b in order to work fully with your new router.

I shall try deleting the atheros 21 on my other partition tomorrow

atheros 40 is only present in this install as i've used an alternative kext, i'll just leave it as is as it's working.
Is there a plus for using 11n?

Yes, better speed. If you have a home network and you are sharing big files, is very useful. Otherwise you do not need it.

nikstar said:
Yes, better speed. If you have a home network and you are sharing big files, is very useful. Otherwise you do not need it.

Nah I never share files, and with my broadband speed of 8 mb/s (fastest i've seen it) it's not really worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back