Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
TonyMac - your guides are awesome!

After weeks of work, I have finally gotten to a fairly stable situation. Using BootCD method, installed SL off retail DVD and Win7 too. My GA-P55-UD3R / Core i5-750 now has dual boot OSX/Win7 - installed OSX 10.6.2, sleep works. I even got audio after installing my Mobo-specific DSDT and replacing the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext with the older one from TMX's web site, as recommended for UD3R.

OSX stayed up for 8 hours (light web browsing, mostly idle) - I thought I was golden.

First thing I do is to go watch Steve Jobs' iPad keynote in HD - within about 20 min, OSX crashes, hard, no warning, no messages. I tried again, and it happened again, at about the same time.

In another post, there was a recommendation to use iStat Pro to monitor CPU temperatures, which I have done. The CPU temp varies between 30-39 degrees C, which seems like it should be OK. Hard disk temp stays below 34. CPU is very lightly loaded, never above 9% busy.

In order to try to eliminate the hardware as a problem, I used my dual-boot and launched Win7 to watch the same video. It played for over an hour with no issues.

I tried to rollback to the original 10.6.2 AppleHDA - reproduced the crash immediately the first time, but the second time, it played for over 20 min.

Help!! any suggestions?

p.s. a few days ago, F5 BIOS was released - might there be any benefit?

Intel Core i5-750
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R (BIOS F4)
WD Caviar Green 1.5 TB
OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum 2x2GB
Galaxy GeForce 9500 GT 512MB DDR2 128bit PCI-E
OCZ StealthStream 700W

If you go to your dashboard and add a widget, does it ripple?

If not, post a SS of your system profiler with Graphics/Displays selected.

I'm thinking that the one on there was bios version F4, since the F5 one came out recently. I think you're probably best to update to the latest bios- stability for your mobo is key. Also, did you replace your DSDT with the one from the DSDT Database? And post your /Extra folder contents as well.

I absolutely have BIOS F4. I guess I will give F5 a try, meanwhile, here are my configuration details. Thanks for your help!!

QE/CI is enabled - yes, I get ripples when I add a widget

/Extra/Extensions contain the following files:
Ev0reboot.kext
fakesmc.kext
JMicronATA.kext
PlatformUUID.kext

I did indeed get the GA-P55-UD3R custom DSDT from your DSDT database. it has a date of Jan 31, 2010 7:28am and filesize of 25kb

Here is data from System Profile
Graphics/Displays:
GeForce 9500 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 9500 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0640
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal
Displays:
X213W:
Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

Audio (Built In):
Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002
Audio ID: 12
Available Devices:
Line Out:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
Line Out:
Line Out:
Line Out:
Internal Microphone:
Connection: Internal
Line In:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: Combo

Upgraded to BIOS F5

I have played the entire iPad keynote successfully. Problem solved.

p.s. Is there a battery of stress tests that you can recommend to increase confidence that the system is stable?

Some people say to sleep/wake 100 times. Don't know if it's an urban legend, but there's a script on the Insanelymac forum that sleep/wakes your system 100 times automatically. Other than that, I can't recommend anything. Glad your issues were solved with the bios update!

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back