CPU
X5650
Graphics
HD 7970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As soon as I get 64bit working with three displays, I am planning on increasing RAM for video and 3d work. Can you mix different brands of RAM, as long as they have the same timings, same voltage, etc.? I have the OCZ triple channel, and I found RAM that has the same specs, but is half the cost.

Also, since updating to 10.6.7, I discovered that System Profiler reads "There was an error while gathering this information". Any ideas?

If they are exactly the same specs yeah you can. You want to purchase RAM that is not just the same frequency, but as close as you can, to the same CAS Latency and Voltage. The CAS LATENCY and the VOLTAGE - these are the two most crucial pieces of information. If the CAS latency or the voltage or both are different from the one you want to buy, then there is a good chance they might not work even if they are at the same frequency. At least this is what I got from searching around about the Ram mixing. I myself would use the same manufacturer and everything just to be on the safe side and not have any worries about things not being compatible and not working.

The info might be fixable and purely cosmetic in nature. I think its in AppleSMBIOS, check that to see if your rams correct info is in there. I could be wrong so search around to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back