Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So it looks like updating to Chimera seems to be the most useful trick for getting Lion to download, so I'm going to have to try it. However, I dual boot my machine which has been a problem in the past for installing Chameleon through Multibeast (requiring me to manually install). My question then is: is it possible to installing Chimera on a dual boot drive? Does it work just like Chameleon's dual boot install method? If none of the above, what exactly is different from Chimera to Chameleon that might be helping people download Lion?

Thanks so much in advance. Greatly appreciated. :D

Re: Dual Drive Install With Chimera?

bigwiger said:
So it looks like updating to Chimera seems to be the most useful trick for getting Lion to download, so I'm going to have to try it. However, I dual boot my machine which has been a problem in the past for installing Chameleon through Multibeast (requiring me to manually install). My question then is: is it possible to installing Chimera on a dual boot drive? Does it work just like Chameleon's dual boot install method? If none of the above, what exactly is different from Chimera to Chameleon that might be helping people download Lion?

Thanks so much in advance. Greatly appreciated. :D

Chimera is a branch of Chameleon 2.0 RC5- more details here:

Chimera Wiki Page
wiki/index.php/Chimera

Chimera: Unified Chameleon Bootloader
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... oader.html

Chimera 1.4.1 Update
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... pdate.html

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Re: Dual Drive Install With Chimera?

Tony, thanks so much for the swift reply.

Not to be obtuse :banghead: but I'm a little confused. I understand now that Chimera is just a branch of Chameleon, but I'm a little lost. I downloaded the Chimera project files from Voodoo Project's site, and I am willing to invest the time to learn how to compile the source properly, but if the Chimera 1.4.1 installer works on a RAID boot drive, I'd rather just click-and-go. I searched your links but couldn't for the life of me find any information about whether the installer works on RAID boot drives.

Or is there is a way to compile the code to get the necessary files for a manual Chameleon install (boot, boot0, boot1h, cdboot, chain0, fdisk).

Thanks again for all the great work you and MacMan have done. I hope I haven't been asking for too much. Peace.

If your using a soft-raid config I don't think its working yet. They made some modifications to the boot.c that keep it from looking at the helper partitions. I've had to use a external HDD with a configuration that points back to my RAID Array to get it to work properly.
I attempted to pull down Chimera from SVN and build it myself but Xcode wasn't happy. Got about 137 errors. I was able to build mozodojo's branch with a boot fix for soft-raid, but then I encountered issues I think with my Apple ATI 5770. It just gets stuck right about the time the Video/Login would show up. So for now I'm sticking with a external USB drive so I can get down the road. Just makes the boot up take a tad longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back