Contribute
Register

Questions before I pull the trigger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

momavujisic

So I got offered to buy a working Power Mac G5 for $150. On that note, I was going to spend $150 on a Corsair 550D for my upcoming Hackintosh.

My question is, how much money can I expect to spend on top of the cost of G5 (tools, case parts, etc) to get into a functioning case.

Also, how does the G5 handle temperature/noise? I plan to put in a 3570K and a GTX470, and hopefully supplement it with a Noctua heatsink and Noctua fans in the back and maybe front.

Really gonna be looking at this guys mod, I just love it: http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/58976-power-mac-g5-intel-reloaded-edition-new-pics.html

Thanks guys! :)

If the G5 is truly working and depending on what one it is then you can resell most of the parts and make your money back and then some.
And any other cost would be dependent on how you were to go about modding it.

If you have a look in the G5 resource thread and from there you can get a rough estimate on part costs like mobo tray or what have you.

As for noise and temps, mine didn't get very hot and I bought silent fans for it and it made it nice and quite, only the GPU would get kinda loud while playing any taxing games.

You will need a dremel and a pack of cutting discs, and many of us use the mountain mods motherboard tray, which is around $60. A soldering iron would be a handy investment too if you don't already have one. Feel free to check out my G5 mods in my signature.

Good luck, and remember to post your build pics here, Im sure we would all love to see them!

If the G5 is truly working and depending on what one it is then you can resell most of the parts and make your money back and then some.
And any other cost would be dependent on how you were to go about modding it.

The guy sent me some images from System Profiler. Also he said it has a 300GB and a 150GB hard drive.

One more question, how does it take dust? With all those holes in the design and no filters I get a little worried!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 142
I blow mine out every 6 to 12 months. I think because the holes are large enough, that dust mostly goes right through it. If you add filters, then they catch the airborne dust and clog up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back