Contribute
Register

Question about triple-booting with encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Thanks for letting me know, it's too bad about filevault.

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a fairly large hackintosh build later this year, and I'm trying to get a handle on some of the configuration options and limitations. My proposed setup is as follows:

• 512GB SSD - OSX
  • 512GB SSD - Windows 8
  • 120GB SSD - Ubuntu 13.04
  • 3TB HDD - Misc Storage (1TB OSX / 2TB Windows)

My first concern is how I would go about setting up a triple boot with these three operating systems, since I've only managed to find guides for dual-booting.

The second concern is in regards to encryption. I'm going to be keeping a fair amount of sensitive information on my machine, and I would like to protect it accordingly. I'll be using the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard with the Gigabyte GC-TPM TPM module. I'm hoping to do the following:
  • Filevault 2 on OSX
  • Bitlocker on Windows 8 (Using TPM module)
  • Native encyption on Ubuntu
  • Storage drive remains unencrypted.

Has anyone had any luck with this type of setup?

Hitman
As long as you use a separate HDD/SSD for each OS there is no problem with encrypted drives. Chimera can boot the drive with no problem.
There are 2 things that you have to remember here:
1. Install Grub2 bootloader to a /boot directory or to the root of the Ubuntu install so that Chimera recognizes it as a bootable HDD/SSD.

2. Filevault 2 will not work on the boot drive of OS X on a PC-Mac. You can get around this by partitioning your drive to have a separate encrypted volume for your secure files. Or by having a separate drive totally for encrypted files.

So, connect the OS X drive, install OS X, update it and run MultiBeast to get it booting from the HDD/SSD. Disconnect the drive.
Connect another drive and install Win8, update it and set up your file encryption. Disconnect the drive.
Connect another drive and install Ubuntu - make sure you select the Something Else option at the install screen and set up your partitions manually so you can select where to install Grub. Allowing the installer to set up partitions automatically does not allow you to do this and Grub goes into the drive MBR instead of the root where you want it to go.
When finished installing, connect all the drives, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in drive boot order.

As long as you use a separate HDD/SSD for each OS there is no problem with encrypted drives. Chimera can boot the drive with no problem.
There are 2 things that you have to remember here:
1. Install Grub2 bootloader to a /boot directory or to the root of the Ubuntu install so that Chimera recognizes it as a bootable HDD/SSD.

2. Filevault 2 will not work on the boot drive of OS X on a PC-Mac. You can get around this by partitioning your drive to have a separate encrypted volume for your secure files. Or by having a separate drive totally for encrypted files.

So, connect the OS X drive, install OS X, update it and run MultiBeast to get it booting from the HDD/SSD. Disconnect the drive.
Connect another drive and install Win8, update it and set up your file encryption. Disconnect the drive.
Connect another drive and install Ubuntu - make sure you select the Something Else option at the install screen and set up your partitions manually so you can select where to install Grub. Allowing the installer to set up partitions automatically does not allow you to do this and Grub goes into the drive MBR instead of the root where you want it to go.
When finished installing, connect all the drives, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in drive boot order.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. It's too bad about filevault not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back