Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am an engineering student, would like to make apps iOS.
Don't want the macbooks, they are simply very expensive.

Looking for a sub $700 laptop which is primarily extremely compatible with OSX. Would run x code and browse internet.
Not going for a desktop as i will be taking the laptop to India and transportation will be a PITA.

I already have a lenovo y500 so gaming is already taken care of.

I am an engineering student, would like to make apps iOS.
Don't want the macbooks, they are simply very expensive.

Looking for a sub $700 laptop which is primarily extremely compatible with OSX. Would run x code and browse internet.
Not going for a desktop as i will be taking the laptop to India and transportation will be a PITA.

I already have a lenovo y500 so gaming is already taken care of.

I'm not sure about prices where you live but the HP Probook 4540s is the most compatible
sub 700 dollar laptop. If you can replace it's 500 GB HDD with a fast SSD it makes a big
difference in the speed. See the laptops section for more info on the Probook line.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-ProBook-4540s-Notebook-i3-3110M/dp/B00JJVX1OS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406545684&sr=1-1&keywords=4540s

There is also an I5 version that works as well. It will cost 100-200 dollars more for the I5.

The probook is a bit bulky.
How about the U410 from lenovo?
Something with mSATA slot or lengthy ngff slot is also desirable, 42mm is too small for higher capacity drives.
Amazon.com US links are more than appreciated :)

U410 is not an option, it has problems with LAN and some other stuff.

I need something light and which can run xcode. The WLAN/WAN, sleep, brightness control are a must.

Rehabman runs U430, I guess he made the entire thing working; so waiting for his reply.

PS: Can the new Lenovo Y50 run OSX, it has i7 47xxMQ and GTX860 Maxwell and NO SLI like y500 or y510p

I have no experience with any Lenovo Laptops so can't help you there.
Rehabman knows the most about laptops and he will help you make the
best choice for your needs, just be patient. Good luck on your build.

7/29 update

After some more searching... HP does make a smaller and lighter Probook
with an SSD installed that can work if you use the clover bootloader. You
would just swap out the Windows SSD with a larger one of your choice.

It's the 430 G1 model and is available at Amazon. only 3.3 lbs. and 13.3 in. screen

http://www.amazon.com/HP-ProBook-i3-4010U-Processor-Professional/dp/B00GEBZ8EC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406659587&sr=8-2&keywords=430+G1&dpPl=1

There are detailed guides by Nguyenmac in the laptops section.

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back