Contribute
Register

[Qs] USB, Audio, NVMe and System Definition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello hackintoshers!

I ordered the following parts and am currently waiting for them to arrive:
  • Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake
  • Gigabyte z370XP SLI
  • G.SKILL 2 x 8GB DDR4 3000
  • Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
  • Noctua NH-D15s CPU Cooler
  • Lenovo L24q 23.8" 2K Monitor
Already have:
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 570 4GB
  • Cougar 700W PSU
  • HP ProLiant ML150 G2 Server case
  • Broadcom BCM20702 USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle
I started preparing the USB and planning for the installation. Few things are not clear for me and hope someone can help me to figure them out!
  1. The above motherboard does not have USB 2.0 port (it has a header that needs an external connection I don't have). Can I install Mojave using USB 3.0?
  2. Is "AppleALC" the right audio driver for Realtek ALC1220? Should I also enable "300 Series Support (HDAS -> HDEF)"?
  3. I've heard hackintosh does not like to be installed on NVMe M.2 drives! So, should I enable any Disk driver in MultiBeast to over come any possible problem here?
  4. Do I have to choose a "definition" from Customize>System Definitions? If yes, then which one should I choose? Maybe "iMac 18,3"?
Thank you.

I'll try to help with my limited knowledge (or lack thereof)

1: I have installed macos on computers using both usb 3 ports and devices. But ymmv

2: Yep. With device-id 11. I believe whatever green will handle that renaming for you, however I, perhaps erroneously, used closer to rename it.

3: in Sierra and High Sierra my windows nvme caused random kp 30 seconds to a minute into booting macos. I had to prevent it from loading. Thankful that problem has been fixed in later updates. If you find it difficult to install to your nvme you can, I believe, install macos to another drive and clone in to the nvme.

4: I recommend 18,3 from the description of the parts you will be using. You can run the uhd630 igpu headless like that actual Mac and use it for encoding.

Good luck!

Oh, thank you so much for the answers. I’m sure this would help during installation.

Be aware that it's rare for USB3 devices to work out of the box. If you use a USB2 flash drive in a USB3 port, you'll be fine. If you have only USB3 flash drives and only USB3 ports, then you'll probably need to configure a USB SSDT (AML file) for your board, but that's difficult if you don't actually have an OS on it. In that case you'd do better to find or buy a USB2 flash drive to get through the installation. (It's possible to get lucky and find port with working USB3 support, but with default settings there's usually at most 1 working on the entire machine.)

You should be OK installing either High Sierra 10.13.6 or Mojave directly to an NVMe drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back