Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys! I'm trying to get my Pro Display XDR going at a full 6K resolution. I am using a Titan Ridge card with both display port to Mini DisplayPort adapters connected to my Vega FE. I've been reading through the forums today and can seem to find any success stories of any monitor beyond the LG 5K and 5K2K. I can get to 5K just fine...

Additionally, I want to boot with only this display connected and I have been unsuccessful so far. Boots black screen and then I have to hot-plug once it gets all the way to MacOS login.

I am using newest versions of WEG and Lilu with the WEG boot argument: agdpmod=pikera.

Another user suggested that Apple may be doing something special here on the real Macs, so this might be impossible on a Hackintosh /or without a Blackmagic eGPU.

Hi, @eiriasemrys.
Thanks for sharing your results.
Is windows10 'Pro Display XDR ready' :lol:?
You have already tried the Windows 10 test on the same Hackintosh machine or on another PC(just for comparison and for avoid macOS-on-Hackintosh errors)?

Tried it on windows, the most I can get is 5k. I’ve been digging through every post I can find on the LG ultrafine thunderbolt issues people have had to see if there’s a related fix.

Another user suggested that Apple may be doing something special here on the real Macs, so this might be impossible on a Hackintosh /or without a Blackmagic eGPU.
From what I've read it takes a GPU with an MPX Module, purchased from Apple to get 6K. Think you'll have to be happy with 5K for now.

From what I've read it takes a GPU with an MPX Module, purchased from Apple to get 6K. Think you'll have to be happy with 5K for now.

I considered that. Of the officially supported models of Mac, only one Mac uses MPX modules (the Mac Pro), and two of the GPU options for the Mac Pro reconfiguration are normal x16 gpus. There is nothing in the compatibility list suggesting that MPX is required and indeed we know from from some of the early buyers who did not get an MPX module that their pro displays are fully functional. The commonality between all the Macs that support the display officially and the eGPUs that support it, are that they use the Titan Ridge thunderbolt controller. Since many of us use that same controller in the Customac community, I think there's a chance it can be worked out.

Hey Guys! I'm trying to get my Pro Display XDR going at a full 6K resolution. I am using a Titan Ridge card with both display port to Mini DisplayPort adapters connected to my Vega FE. I've been reading through the forums today and can seem to find any success stories of any monitor beyond the LG 5K and 5K2K. I can get to 5K just fine...

Additionally, I want to boot with only this display connected and I have been unsuccessful so far. Boots black screen and then I have to hot-plug once it gets all the way to MacOS login.

I am using newest versions of WEG and Lilu with the WEG boot argument: agdpmod=pikera.

Have you tried adding VegaGraphicsFixup.kext, for me it is mandatory for booting with my LG 4K 43UD79 connected to TBEX3 via USB_C, maybe useful in your case too?

Attachments

• VegaGraphicsFixup.kext.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Have you tried adding VegaGraphicsFixup.kext, for me it is mandatory for booting with my LG 4K 43UD79 connected to TBEX3 via USB_C, maybe useful in your case too?
I tried that, no dice. One thing I've noticed in doing some research this week is that owners of the Blackmagic eGPU reported that before the recent firmware update, the XDR would still work with those eGPUs, but at 5K. Similar to what I am experiencing now. I am wondering if there is an Apple specific firmware for the titan ridge controllers that us Hackintosh owners are just never going to get? Unless intel issues a firmware update so that the screen works in windows.

I put a bid in on a BM eGPU to try out and see if that is a workaround for Hackintosh users. I can move all my monitors to that eGPU too and use the Vega for compute.

I also contacted Gigabyte support and bugged them about a firmware update for the Titan Ridge. Another thought I had was exploring Bootcamp drivers and seeing if there's a driver for the display in windows that jogs it into 6K. Doubt it.

Here's a YouTuber who tested the display on a wide selection of devices. One of the windows computers actually saw it as a 6K screen.

Start reading from here #590 up to #594

The GC-TITAN RIDGE might need a firmware update to support dual HBR3 connections. Otherwise you need a card that supports Display Stream Compression (DSC). Post your AGDCDiagnose output. Try connecting with only one DisplayPort cable between the GPU and the GC-TITAN RIDGE to prove that at least one connection can support HBR3 speed. Post the AGDCDiagnose output for that as well.

The Blackmagic eGPU will work only if you have working PCIe tunnelling over Thunderbolt. Even if you can connect some docks or PCIe cards, it might not work with the GPU. Have to research eGPUs with Hackintoshes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back