GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So the various overclocking things I have read talk about the ability to overclock your CPU without raising vCore to a certain extent. Supposedly this is good because you don't use any more power. Maybe I read it wrong and assumed that if you didn't raise vCore you wouldn't use more power?

Anyways, when I overclock my i3 (changing BCLK from 133 to 150, to OC to 3.3 GHz), it changes the core voltage my CPU runs at from an original 0.92-1.20 volts to now 1.02 volts (idle) to 1.27/29 volts (full load). It would seem to me that this would result in more power usage than without OCing it, is that correct?

Is there any way to go about OCing without resulting in more power usage, if this is the case?

Here's a related question as well: when I run Parallels Desktop (v5) while overclocked, the sound goes out of sync, sounding crackly and lagging behind by a couple seconds. As soon as I reboot and reset my BCLK to 133, sound works great in it again. Does anyone have any idea what that's about or how to fix it? :confused:

The audio going out of sync is more than likely due to your clock running fast. Open the date and time part of system preferences and watch it. I haven't found a way to correct this yet, as it seems to destroy other parts of the OS working properly. With that said I've been able to take my i3 all the way to 4.4ghz stable, so I know it's possible

Jeffzoom said:
The audio going out of sync is more than likely due to your clock running fast. Open the date and time part of system preferences and watch it. I haven't found a way to correct this yet, as it seems to destroy other parts of the OS working properly. With that said I've been able to take my i3 all the way to 4.4ghz stable, so I know it's possible

You're correct that it was due to the clock. Specifically, due to the CPU not being recognized correctly by Chameleon, see this thread here for how to fix this issue with i3's:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3365&start=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back