Contribute
Register

Power-mac G5 case mod questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a lot of work on it yesterday and its almost done.

Here are some pictures of how it went together:

I took a piece of paper and cut it out to the size and shape of the part that needs to be cut from the back of the g5.
ysHJloR.jpg

I then set it over the back of the case and traced it with a blue marker.
uyYpzYh.jpg

I cut out the part with a dremel tool and a large amount of cutting disks. The motherboard tray fit in nicely, and although it looks kind of bad in this picture, a bit of jb weld and polishing got it looking perfect.
6lYFRjx.jpg

I had to cut out the place for the power plug, and my psu will be at the front of the case. This meens I will have to wire up an extender and plug it into this thing at the back of the case
yM8r1X2.jpg

Here you can see were it gets mounted. The psu it came out of had nice screws and nuts to hold it in that conveniently fit through those holes on the g5 case. Again it looks kind of bad, but some JB weld got it looking much better.
XZIxndq.jpg

There are lots of things to see in this picture. First of all the power plug is mounted. Second the top shelf is all finished. I had to move the HD rack to the middle of the shelf, and the cooler to the right side in order for it to fit around the power plug. I ran all the cables up through it, so it should be easy to get drives in and out. Also a careful observer will notice that the psu looks like it has expansion bay covers glued on it, and that because it does. There is a good reason however. I needed to mount the psu to the bottom of the case, but it does not have screw holes on that side. I was going to make some brackets to mount it, but then I realised those things were just what it needed. I epoxied them on, put screw standoffs on the bottom of the case, and now I have an easily removable psu.

vyxemJ8.jpg

Here the computer is mostly finished. I put all the fans, and I put the motherboard and gpu in.
lsjjOek.jpg

Things that still need to be done:
Mount power button
Mount front usb ports
Find some way to secure the front fans better
polish the case with some aluminum cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back