Contribute
Register

Power Mac G4 "Rainbow Apple" Build (repost)

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
Asus ROG STRIX Geforce GTX 1070
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
This is a repost as my previous thread was deleted by mods due to containing external image hosting, so I have used a cached version to restore all the information from the original post:

Sep 25, 2017

Hi Guys

Yet another Power Mac G4 build :D!

For right now, I don't actually have any plans to put a computer inside, this is more of just a fun project to learn and develop my skills. Eventually, this will replace my 2010 Macbook Pro, which I use as a daily desktop replacement. But it is getting on a bit, and when it eventually packs up, then I will most likely put a computer into the G4 case. But for now, it's just a fun project :)

I bought the G4 back in Jan 2016 for 99p from eBay. A bargain, as it was in pretty good condition!

C4pfB9tX_o.jpg

First thing to do was strip it out.
btd7SSSr_o.jpg

Then Cut out the side fan hole, which was a bit messy (will be cleaned up later).
xytGxfCe_o.jpg

qyDoOPqt_o.jpg

Next to cut out a side hole for any future power supply
loPoXM8j_o.jpg

cFLm4NbJ_o.jpg

yAoZdTWe_o.jpg

This hole came out much better
jqbxKDlE_o.jpg

Next a fan mount for underneath. This will either be for a water cooler radiator, or just another fan, I've left the options open.
5iPpO7OF_o.jpg

VsTzZzfA_o.jpg

Included a dust mesh protector to collect the inevitable floor dust and dust bunnies
oiFKhrbX_o.jpg

I also cut a hole in the front for some front mounted USB and Audio ports
MLnie0z3_o.jpg

Y45djKTI_o.jpg

Using the G4 mATX kit from The Laser Hive, I drilled the holes and cut off the old stand offs for the new mATX setup.
RCpOr4CA_o.jpg

Using an old donor computer I had laying about, I test fitted the motherboard
qYFBUXVu_o.jpg

I wanted the side panels to be coloured white, but I wanted to do something different from all the other Stormtrooper style case mods. So I set about removing the silver paint from behind the side panel. The first panel I sanded it all off, which took a LONG time!
RJoKlCGf_o.jpg
qYfuF0Gg_o.jpg

Masked up ready to paint
314tsrOM_o.jpg

4 light coats later
cAoSG5SN_o.jpg

I always loved the old rainbow apple logo. It always brings back fond memories from my childhood, so I wanted the side logos to be the same retro design. I printed out a test image to stick to the side to see how it would look with the new white side panel, and I really liked it!
LOV5dg8E_o.jpg

The second panel I used Methylated Spirit to remove the paint, which to be honest, was just as hard as the sanding :banghead:!
zrIYCq6m_o.jpg

Had some professional decals made up for the rainbow apple logo
s7j2hVqJ_o.jpg

If people are interested in doing the Retro Apple Logo themselves, here's the custom template that I made specifically to fit the Apple Logo on the side panels:
1BgPDjqR_o.png

Just ask any decal printing company to print this in 11x11cm and it will match up perfectly with the apple logo on the G4 side panel :).

Really happy with how they turned out
4WkRvKqJ_o.jpg

Next step was to get the front power switch to work with a conventional mother board.
Following some google searches I found which cables did what and soldered on the connections.
kgOe0FFi_o.jpg

K7foG21j_o.jpg
W8zEIZ8U_o.jpg

The power button worked first time to my surprise. The only problem was the reset button doesn't work. I put this down to it sharing the same ground wire, so I may have to solder it direct to the board to get it to work possibly.

Next are painting the top and bottom panels. I wanted them to be the same satin texture as from factory, so I painted them Satin Black:
9MD6Xvei_o.jpg
Dj5eWbik_o.jpg

I also painted the power button housing and the inside fan housing. Forgot to take pictures of the end result
HPMKmCRo_o.jpg

That was May 2016, I then went through a rather nasty break up, and just lost all interest in the project.
And it lay boxed up in my attic for a good year before I stumbled upon the project photos while having a computer clean up and I then decided that I really wanted to finish the project that I started with such enthusiasm before :).

So down it came, and I started the project up again.

Next, I wanted to have a front intake fan for better cooling. The CD/Zip drive bay was almost exactly the same size as two 80mm fans, so I bought two ARCTIC F8 80mm fans and two 80mm guard covers. The guard covers were too wide to fit in the hole left by the CD/Zip drive bay, so I had to trim and sand the sides down to fit. I then used some P40 that I had left over from a car project and I bonded them together as one cover
CWfyUErk_o.jpg
FUrcFBOV_o.jpg
K5d3WcLk_o.jpg

I then glued it into the front panel. I'm really happy with the fit
F03kB29N_o.jpg

I decided that I didn't like the front USB/audio ports, it didn't look as professional as the rest of the build, so I decided to fill in the holes before the front got painted.
jMUfkP69_o.jpg

Tried P40 first, but it didn't give a smooth enough finish for the holes to be unnoticeable after painting, so started agin with some P38 instead
SCnY46zS_o.jpg

After sanding
BC10McS0_o.jpg

Had to cut out a lot of the front section of the metal case to get the two 80mm fans to fit
9HAqzReJ_o.jpg

I then had to fill in the holes I cut for the front USB hub on the metal case as well

P40 for the outside
pukpprVn_o.jpg
JETpeYK1_o.jpg

P38 for the inside
7dZb4al3_o.jpg
wjdi93nJ_o.jpg

I plan on painting the whole of the metal case Satin Black as well, so the filler won't be noticeable on the final result.

As I had completely taken the metal casing apart, rivets and all, and there has been a lot of hole cutting and metal bending, I wanted to be sure that everything fitted back together properly before doing any more work on the case.
So I put all the unfinished parts back together to test fit it

It looked really weird, but after a small amount of panel bending, everything fitted back together ok :)
FRP0agaq_o.jpg

The inside with the fans and painted parts
URhonTpm_o.jpg

I then put my donor computer in just to make sure that everything worked fine, as I had been dismantled and sat in an attic for a year. Everything worked fine
U14XfKkf_o.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 continued...

I decided that I wanted to paint the handles as well. But I wanted to do the same thing as I did with the side panels and paint the inside rather than the outside for something a bit different.
oTyZESP1_o.jpg
ItSDQhZl_o.jpg

The final result
rpP8iToh_o.jpg
Z2SI9doI_o.jpg

Next was trying to smooth out the scratches and marks on the inner door from removing the old standoffs and drilling the new ones
Sanded as best I could
4buzQSp2_o.jpg

Sanding was taking too long, so I got out the P38 and just filled in the deep marks, also filled in the screw holes that weren't needed anymore while I was at it :)
YdHqXnSE_o.jpg

Oct 5, 2017

Had a few weeks off work, so I've had the time to crack on with the build and make some good progress.

Painted the front panel Satin Black, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. The Merge of the two fan houses wasn't 100% smooth, but I'm happy with it none the less :).

All primed ready for painting:
CbQ4Orkf_o.jpg

Painted with Satin Black Paint:
J7quAzIw_o.jpg

You can ever so slightly see where I cut the holes for the audio/USB ports, but it's barely noticeable, so I'm happy with it :)

The front with the plastic Apple logo installed and the power button which I sanded down the front of as the green didn't really go with the black:
5t5m5f8Z_o.jpg

I also painted the inside of the side handle white in keeping with the rest of the build:
4DgS93zs_o.jpg

The plastic that surrounded the I/O & PCI slots posed a problem, as the plastic strip that separated the I/O panel and PCI slots covered about 8mm of the I/O plate, and meant that any port in that area would be covered.
I really wanted the flush look, but also didn't want any ports covered. So I decided to remove the strip and fill/mould the cut off areas around to look more natural.

Cut off the plastic, no going back now:
StRRQImf_o.jpg

First step was to fill the inside of the holes with P40 filler to give it a strong back:
vwhnZNL2_o.jpg

Then fill over that with P38 to give a nice smooth sandable finish:
uCZiyNUi_o.jpg

I rounded off the corner to give a natural finish in keeping with the standard look.

Both back plastics now sanded and ready to be primed:
roEa7Z1y_o.jpg

Primed and ready to paint:
vKM24A1J_o.jpg

The painted Satin Black final result:
z3fYFYgm_o.jpg

I then had a change of heart about the front power switch. I wanted to use the programmers button as a HDD LED, seeing as the button was redundant. Also the reset button didn't work when wired to the standard apple wiring, because they all share a common ground. So I scrapped that and bought a new ATX cable and wired it direct to the board.

First step was to cut off all the original circuit routes and drill the necessary holes:
29GHvaUo_o.jpg
eLW1nFtC_o.jpg

The cable came with the power LED and HDD LED already wired in, so I thought it would just be easier to drill the holes for them and just glue them into place.

Power and reset switches wired in place and the LEDs routed underneath and glued in place:
vw4dFhpr_o.jpg

I really love the classic Apple chime when you boot up the computer, so I wanted to recreate that with in the build.

I ordered a USB Button activated playback board that you find in music gift cards. I then wired it to the original G4 speaker.
I'm going to eventually wire it to the power switch when I figure out where I'm going to hide the board.

I got hold of the Apple Chime sound online, then I edited it to add a 3 second delay between hitting the button and actually hearing the sound, like it would be with a real Mac.

And here's the result LINK

A little OCD, but I think it adds a nice authentic touch :)!

Probably one of the biggest jobs was getting the inside metal case all sanded down.
Took nearly a day of hard work to get to the stage where it is prepped and ready for primer.
All the unnecessary holes were filled in and sanded:
smsFIJqP_o.jpg

Next step was to prime all the metal with etch primer to ensure a good adhesion to the metal:
AvB9RjgJ_o.jpg

I then realized that one can was just not going to cut it, and I ran out half way through priming.
So I've ordered another can, and I'm just waiting on it to arrive before I can do any more painting :(!

Oct 17, 2017

Another big update:

Got the Etch Primer and now finished priming all the metal case parts:
GF4lhvq8_o.jpg

All the parts painted in Satin Black. Had just enough paint to finish all the panels:
PnBQtDNA_o.jpg

The very last thing to paint was the screws for the case:

ufDq4FRP_o.jpg

2WwLbL06_o.jpg

Now time to put everything back together again.
First was the side panel with all the motherboard standoffs and IO plate:
eNbO6Ru0_o.jpg

Next was wiring in the audio playback deice for the apple startup sound:
eiwqKwlz_o.jpg
xy3byFzw_o.jpg

Then for the front Apple logo, I wanted to have an LED light.
Originally I just drilled one hole in the middle, but I found that it didn't illuminate the apple logo the way I wanted it to. So I drilled 4 holes around it to house the LEDs to better illuminate it:
jBoegbCD_o.jpg

I bought some Rainbow effect LED's that cycle through the colour spectrum to continue with the rainbow theme:
fgJBEg2Z_o.jpg

I wired them to fit a standard Molex connector so I could connect it direct to the power supply.
I originally wanted to wire it to the power on LED, but I was told by the seller that I couldn't do that because it has a chip inside the LED. So wiring it to the 5V on the power supply was the 2nd best option:

nosxgFOL_o.jpg

Glued into place:
3bsLEayN_o.jpg
zosfI1dx_o.jpg

Tested the LEDs by connecting them up to an old computer, and they worked perfectly:
2ry9iMj6_o.jpg

The picture really doesn't do it justice, it looked so nice!!

Next was to rivet the case back together. To save my self some painting, I bought some black rivets, which matched the paint job perfectly!:
4oOOgqBE_o.jpg

Skip forward to the case all riveted together. I'm really happy with the result!:
9IYUbqGB_o.jpg

And now for the grand unveil after putting all the case back together again:
BCBblPPp_o.jpg

I'm really happy with the end result. I've still got some small things to do, like polish the side panels and the handles, as they aren't completely shiny after being sanded down. And side apple logos still need redoing. But apart from that, it is basically finished!

I had another G4 lying around, so I took some pictures next to it to compare the difference:
3IE2uIhS_o.jpg

This project took a ridiculous amount of time, but I learned so much from doing it that I can't say that wasn't worth the 100+ hours I put into it.
I look forward to my next project :D!

Any questions about the build feel free to ask :)!

Nov 15, 2020
So finally a long awaited update for this build. It's not a Hackintosh I'm afraid, but those of you who wanted to to see it finished, here you go.

For the last 3 years, the case has been sat, unused, on a shelf, just as an ornament until I decided what to do with it. I did consider selling it at one point, but I had put so much work into it, I knew a time would come where I would finish it, and that time came in the form of the worldwide lockdown.
I had already sold my old Hackintosh a year ago, as fun as the Hackintosh project was, the main reason I switched to Mac in the first place was the reliability and ease of use of MacOS, and even though I got my Hackintosh to be pretty stable and reliable, it was always one update away from not working, and I just decided to stick with a genuine Mac in the form of a Late-2013 15" Retina, which is my daily computer, and I love it.

During the Lockdown, I rediscovered my passion for gaming, and the old Hackintosh was a pretty good gaming machine, but I had sold it, so I thought about building a new Gaming PC, but one on a tighter budget (£1000), and aim for a Mid-Range machine rather than the all out power house I built before (i7 4930k, 32GB RAM in 2015).
So, with the restriction of an mATX form factor, and only the ability to use a 120mm AIO water cooler, I settled on these specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO OC Edition
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Motherboard mATX
Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 RAM
Be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W CM PSU
WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD
Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax black Fans x2
EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable extension kit

20201025_193309 EDIT.jpg

Test fitted the motherboard, and after a bit of tweaking, it fits perfectly
20201017_164607.jpg

Ordered a Corsair TX650M Power supply, because it looked like the switch and plug would line up perfectly with the original holes in the case. Turns out it didn't! So I'm ordering a different power supply, and I'm going to begrudgingly cut the case to fit. I wish I had cut the case when I was originally making it, but you live and learn.
20201019_120515.jpg

I thought I would plug everything in and test it all works.
Everything works perfectly :) ! I love that PC building is so much easier these days. Everything just plugs in and works!!
20201025_114458.jpg

Power supply was a bit too long for the original bracket, so I had to cut the raised end off for it to sit properly. Luckily I had some satin black metal paint, so I could at least hide the cuts.
20201023_191552.jpg

Power supply now sits flush on the bracket
20201024_142305.jpg

I didn't have the heart to cut the outside of the case, so I cut the inside enough so that the power switch had enough room to fit
20201024_142358.jpg

I'll survive without the use of the switch, I'll just turn it off at the wall.
20201024_142311.jpg

Had to order extension cables for the power supply, so thought why not go for ones that match the colour theme of the build.
20201025_132057.jpg

To keep all the cables tidy and organised, I decided to make holes in the case to route the cables through, so they can be hidden between the chassis and the outer plastic casing. I added some rubber edging to neaten up the holes, but also to protect the cabling from catching/ripping on the metal.
20201026_000516 copy.jpg

Also made holes under the motherboard to route the various cables.
20201026_000702 copy.jpg

Made a cardboard prototype for the custom radiator/fan bracket, before ordering the aluminium part.
20201023_133843.jpg

Aluminium bracket arrived and fitted to the case so I could measure the exact position of the fan placement and cut accordingly
i6ovSA2A_o.jpg

Had to use the angle grinder to cut the metal, as the Dremel was just taking so long. I used the Dremel to finish off the cuts and then filed and sanded down the edges to give a nicer finish.
VCsdRSpK_o.jpg

Now time to start organising the cabling. I really love the white power cable extensions with the cable combs
CYruzTwt_o.jpg

Organising the cabling ended up taking a lot longer than I was expecting. And when I finally got it organised, the plastic side panels just wouldn't fit on the side of the case. So it looks like I will have to take it all out and rethink my strategy to make the cables fit.
3WDw0mVE_o.jpg

To route the cables a different way, I decided to route the main large power connector through the radiator mount, so it didn't have to go behind the side panel, and there would be enough room for the side panel to fit correctly. I made a cut out on the radiator bracket to allow the cabling to pass through, along with a little hole to fit a cable tie through to secure the cabling.
JzECRteg_o.jpg

A new hole had to be cut to route the cables through, so I had to dismantle the case again and get cutting. I decided to use some more rubber edging to tidy up the fan holes as well.
ZfV3huqJ_o.jpg

The power cables were so large and the tension very tight, I thought the adhesive cable tie mounts wouldn't stay stuck to work well in this gap, so I cut holes in the case for the cable ties instead, as I knew there was no way they could come off this way.
cGVsDbHB_o.jpg

Cables now all neatly organised at the back, and the panel screws on with only a small resistance
UePYWmfr_o.jpg

In keeping with the theme of the build, I used some Satin Black wrap I had to cover the 1TB hard drive I would be using as the backup drive, so it was nicely hidden and didn't ruin the aesthetic.
aNs2BiBi_o.jpg

And finally, I used my Dremel to cut a gap in the bottom of the plastic side panel to allow for better air flow. I don't know how much difference it will actually make, but in a closed case like this. I'll take all the air flow I can get!
Y5p4cudn_o.jpg

And now for what you've all be waiting for, the pictures of the finished build:
0gBC7RYr_o.jpg

SJbSCzEy_o.jpg
mcnrz8nc_o.jpg
XiiaLSEq_o.jpg
JRRga24l_o.jpg
ngKTy2XT_o.jpg
KHuTl4l1_o.jpg

The temperatures have been pretty good. Using prime 95 synthetic load, It hit a max temp of 69'C, and under real world load, a max of 62'C, so not bad for a G4 Case.
I really wanted to go with an air cooler, but the biggest I could fit in the case would be a Noctua NH-L12S, which scored worse in cooling tests than a corsair H60 (with a Noctua 120mm fan), so I knew I had to go with the water cooler.

Quite a few people mentioned on another forum, that I shouldn't have mounted my radiator at the bottom. Aparently a video came out a few months ago basically stating how it was bad, as the trapped air in the AIRO would settle in the pump on the CPU (rather than the radiator) because it was higher, causing poor thermal performance, and overtime, failure of the AIO, so I may have to look at different options for placing it. God knows where it's going to go in such a small case, but I will try and work it out.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020

Update:

So after posting the build on another forum, quite a few people pointed out that the radiator mounted on the bottom was a bad idea due to air pockets being In the radiator pump on the CPU (because it's the highest point), which would cause issues and also cause the pump to fail earlier, and that Gamers Nexus made a video showing why, and what the optimum positions were. LINK TO VIDEO

So after watching the video, I sat down and stared at the inside of my case and tried to think about where the hell I could actually mount the radiator to insure that the top of the radiator was higher than the pump (so the air pocket collected there rather than the pump).

I decided that seeing as I had air coming in from the front of the case with the two 80mm fans I added, that was probably the best place to put it, as I didn't want to be cutting holes in the top of the case and ruining the look. I wanted the outer look to remain unchanged.

I decided to test fit the radiator bracket I made and drilled the holes into the chassis. If I decided It didn't work, the holes would be covered by the door tray, so It wouldn't matter. I made sure the bracket lined up with the door tray, and that it would clear everything when the door was closed

20201129_125505.jpg

I couldn't mount the radiator to the bracket with the tubes facing down (the optimum position), so I filed out two sections to allow the tubes to fit.
20201129_181430.jpg

I ran numerous tests and benchmarks to see if there was any difference to the temperatures, and I did notice that during the Prime95 stress test the highest temperature it reached was 62'C, while before it would get to 67'C, but general use, the temperatures were more or less the same, maybe slightly better.

Seeing as everything was working fine and fitted, I decided to go with this set up, and drill the holes in the door tray.
20201130_180602.jpg

20201130_201518.jpg

They're not the best holes, but I thought it doesn't really matter, as the bracket will be covering them anyway.

I used a spacer and a nut to allow just enough room to clear the door tray, but not be too high
20201130_221134.jpg

The Cable combed 24pin lead fit just nicely in the gap between the motherboard and bracket. The cable management doesn't look quite as nice as it did with the radiator on the bottom, but it's still alright.
20201130_224554.jpg

Radiator and fan fitted. It's really difficult to screw in the fan screws with the ATX cable in the way, so in future, I will probably unscrew the bracket and then remove/install the radiator and fan.
20201130_225142.jpg

Now it's all finished and working, I decided that I wanted to paint the radiator bracket to match the rest of the case.
I didn't have any satin black spray paint, but I had some normal brush on paint, so I thought I would use that, as the bracket is mostly hidden anyway, so Even if the brush strokes were visible, you wouldn't really notice them.
20201213_140204.jpg

20201213_215024.jpg

The bracket came out alright, though In hindsight, I wish I had just gone out and bought some Satin Black spray paint and just did it so it matched the rest of the sprayed case.

The final result:
IMG_6706.JPG

IMG_6709.JPG
IMG_6711.JPG

I also purchased a Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap to go on the bottom where the radiator was, to bring in cool air, which has definitely helped with cooling. The case still isn't the best for cooling, but the temperatures never go over 70'C on the highest. It's just the idle temperatures that can be erratic sometimes, where it can be anything from 40-60'C at idle, but it's still not high enough to cause any concern and should be fine.

24 Aug, 2023

The Rainbow G4 is still going strong, the only changes I've made for it was to buy another 16gb of Crucial Ballistix but in white to contrast the original black sticks and to match the build colours, which I had to wait for a second hand set to come up on eBay, as they had stopped making them. I also upgraded the storage with a 256gb M.2 for the OS, a 1TB M.2 SSD for games, and another 2x 1TB SATA SSDs, also for games, which were installed behind the door side panel, as well as a 3.5" 2TB hard drive for backups installed in one of the original G4 hard drive bays, using the original 3.5" adaptor.

I also made a custom Windows 10 loading screen with HackBGRT for the G4, with the vintage Apple font.
maxresdefault.jpg

How the computer currently looks:
IMG_1884.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

Hopefully this post won't get deleted, and will stand as a resource for others who wish to mod their own G4 Case.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm always happy to help :).

Also, if people would like to see the original post with it's comments, the cached version can be viewed here:LINK

Last edited:
Back