RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
TRS 2013-11-02 at 11.04.07 AM.jpg
Polk Monitor60 Series II

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206&Tpk=polk%20monitor60

This is a great deal if you're building a home theater or are an audio pro that needs some in
studio speakers. Add a 2nd one for 99 and you're good to go, plenty of bass output.

Polk Tower Audio Speaker for $99 at Newegg Through 11-3-13

Not powered not so great for recording studio

That's so not true. In fact passive speakers are sometimes better. Why?

(1) You can choose your own amplifier (or even build one - seriously this a Hackintosh website after all) to have the sound characteristics you need.

(2) When your amplifier blows, due to component failure or acts of God, you don't have to replace your speakers. When you spend $500 for each speaker that's a serious problem. Its easier to replace a $150-300 amplifier than to replace a set of speakers.

I have friends with their own recording studios who bought active speakers and then complained about the amplifier going and replacing the entire set, to which I then said "I told you so".

Being an Apple fan, I'm all for compact packages and minimal cabling. In fact, I have both active and passive speakers. But if your running and/or have a studio, redundancy and efficacy must come first.

This deal is still good through the 18th of this month.

Here's a low cost digital amp you could use to power the speakers with.

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-100a-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK/

You could then use your CustoMac / iTunes music for a nice low cost stereo sound system.

$278 for really good computer audio certainly beats many of the 2.1 "computer speakers" out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back