Contribute
Register

Please help: I've apparently lost usb function at the "Language" screen of High Sierra setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M-DS3H-Clover
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Gigabyte H370M DS3H mobo with an core i3 8300 CPU and 16Gb of ram. I've actually had High Sierra running a couple of times on this machine over the last few months, however, there's always been a lot of jaggies in the video setup. I never found a solution in the forum to accelerate the built in Intel UHD 630 graphics, so I went for a graphics card several folks recommended worked fine: the PNY GeForce GT 710 2Gb memory. I've managed to build the "USB" installer (actually a 64Gb SSD) using the latest Unibeast for High Sierra. However, as soon as I get to the "Language" screen of the High Sierra installer, I no longer have control of my USB Keyboard or trackpad, which means that I can't get any farther!

I'm attaching a screen shot, and as soon as I can find how to create a diagnostics file of my install so far, I'll post that.

Hopefully somebody out there will be able to help me get up and running! Thanks in advance!

Use the forum search tool - You are not the first to experience this challenge.

Check BIOS settings are correct.
May require USBInjectAll.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May require XHCI-300-series-injector.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ .

WOW. I didn't think I'd get an answer that fast. Thanks! Where do I put the kext? In the EFI/Clover/kexts/other folder on the USB Drive?
I'm including that EFI folder in a zip file now. It's what I've booted with to get the screen I posted above.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
Try again... Here's the screen shot.

Attachments

• pix - 9.jpg
    pix - 9.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
P1LGRIM. Thanks for your response.
I've gone over my bios several times, and I'm quite sure it's correct: I've had High Sierra running before without the new graphics card in any case. What I see there is quite a bit more detailed than most of the descriptions I've read here in the forum. Maybe because it's newer?

Where do I put the kext? In the EFI/Clover/kexts/other folder on the USB Drive?
They should go in /Library/Extensions on the system disk but until you are able to boot they must be in the EFI partition of whichever disk you are booting from.

Your /EFI/CLOVER contents are seriously wrong.

Any advice on corrections?

Seems now I can get 98% through the install before the computer reboots. So, like you say, there's something wrong. Haven't touched it, though, it's just as Unibeast set it up.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. ***MUCH BETTER SUCCESS***
I decided to start over with a completely new try, from wiping my SSD in the computer to making totally new unibeast install USB. Actually, I used a 64Gb SSD which turned out to be much faster than any USB I've tried so far. I've been trying to install High Sierra with Unibeast 8.3 from a system running Mojave. It has always been a bit patchy whether or not Unibeast would succeed or not. So, I re-installed High Sierra on my wife's 2013 MacBook Air. The procedure went slick as snot...
I then plugged in the SSD in my computer with the sata cables and power. Again, it went very smoothly, and FAST! So fast that I didn't really recognize the end of the process, thinking that it had failed back to a reboot. Anyway, from Clover, I started up from the main drive (SSD) in the computer. Again, it was very fast, but ended up in a reboot. I figured I had nothing to lose except some time, so at Clover I started up from the main drive again. It started fine, again, but didn't seem to finish, ending in a reboot a third time. Once again from Clover I started from the main drive (the 3rd time) and this time it completed the install where I was able to set up my account and get to the High Sierra desktop!
Since I'd had so much trouble with the integrated graphics accelleration, I ended up getting a cheap, older Nvidia graphics card I noticed was mentioned several times as being very easy to install in a Hackintosh: PNY's GeForce GT 710. I had no trouble with graphics, setting the initial graphics in BIOS to automatic, and the main graphics to the graphics card. Before this try, my graphics were obviously wrong, as any circle was squashed wide, and the resolution was only 1080p, and very jaggy when moving windows around. Also, I couldn't get more than 7MB of video memory with integrated graphics. With the graphics card, no more squashed circles, and full UHD resolution. The display preferences show the same kind of Scaled choices as I had with my 15" Retina: 5 choices from HD 1928 x 1080 to UHD 3840 x 2160. Plus, I've got the full 2Gb video RAM on the card available. The graphics are much smoother, but I suspect it's only 30Hz. I have to get an adapter to use the dual link DVI-D connection with either display port or HDMI. According to the card specs, that should function at 60Hz.
Ethernet works. Sound works. Graphics work now. I still have to fiddle with WiFi and the Apple apps like iMessaging and FaceTime and the App Store.
If anyone has any tips or ideas to get the rest of these things working, I'd be much obliged.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back