Contribute
Register

Please critique my Protools HD build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I am back with some digging...

I am sifting through these ASUS boards...

next I will go to Intel and make a decission...

I need the board to fit the case im desired to look at... hoping it will be of size..

These are the boards...

ASUS Z8PE-D18
ASUS Z8PE-D12X
ASUS Z8PE-D12
ASUS Z8NA-D6 - this one is in ATX form factor, so it will def fit my case... However the others might I am not too sure...

case I am going for is this...

NZXT HUSH 2 BLACK MID TOWER W/ O PSU H2NL1-UUB

CSNZHU2B.jpg

I am also very open to case ideas.... I want basically a very sleek sexy case... Want to be able to load it with alot of fans, I do not care about flashy lights, I dont need esata and all flanky ports..
Cheers again guys, hope to really get you all a solid build so you can add it to the lists of successful hackintosh's...

I plan to really supe this thing if all is well, otherwise I will wait for sandybridge.

Ok the types of mboards going through of Intel has come to...

Intel S5500BCR I5500

Intel S5500HCVR I5500

Intel S5520HCR I5520

Intel S5520SCR I5520

I cannot seem to find mention of any specs of these...
Does anyone have any knowledge of what cases these boards will fit in?
Specifically if it will fit the NZXT listed in this thread (see above)

ok just come across this... this looks like the goods...

270-WS-W555-K1.jpg

EVGA CLASSIFIED SR2 LGA1366

only problem im finding is that this mboard is huge. and problems with fitting def in alot of cases.. case will end up costing alot, however I think there may be ways to get away with this in the type of build that is required here; that being that of a pro tools rig...

this board seems to be normally aimed for high performance gaming. like running 4 way sli and stuff like that... a space that is taken up hugely by the cards...

as i am not caring 1 bit about the graphics card. a card that is on budget level today would surfice a pro tools rig in the highest demands, only if possibly you were not stepping into the design aspect, but this is pro tools not final cut pro or anything... so anyone with any help could lend me on the case issue would be great...

Form Factor HPTX Form Factor
Length: 13.6in - 345.4mm
Width: 15in - 381mm

to people thinking about this mboard its a great option. has room for 3 hd accel cards at PCIe, also you could fit your uad card, and still have space for a graphics card and some more pcie... all slots are PCIe and there is 7...

does anyone know of this mboard working with a hackintosh build? thankyou

yaren said:
ok just come across this... this looks like the goods...

270-WS-W555-K1.jpg

EVGA CLASSIFIED SR2 LGA1366

only problem im finding is that this mboard is huge. and problems with fitting def in alot of cases.. case will end up costing alot, however I think there may be ways to get away with this in the type of build that is required here; that being that of a pro tools rig...

this board seems to be normally aimed for high performance gaming. like running 4 way sli and stuff like that... a space that is taken up hugely by the cards...

as i am not caring 1 bit about the graphics card. a card that is on budget level today would surfice a pro tools rig in the highest demands, only if possibly you were not stepping into the design aspect, but this is pro tools not final cut pro or anything... so anyone with any help could lend me on the case issue would be great...

Form Factor HPTX Form Factor
Length: 13.6in - 345.4mm
Width: 15in - 381mm

to people thinking about this mboard its a great option. has room for 3 hd accel cards at PCIe, also you could fit your uad card, and still have space for a graphics card and some more pcie... all slots are PCIe and there is 7...

does anyone know of this mboard working with a hackintosh build? thankyou

This is the EXACT MoBo I'm looking to purchase. This with 2 x Xeon X5650 2.66GHz, and 48GB of RAM. If someone could write kext files for this board I would totally get it (if they need to be written that is).

hey fellas,

I am digging a lot of information on the web for making my first hackintosh.

The problem is that there are so many opinions and suggested configurations I'm kinda lost.

My goal is to build a machine wich will work with snow leopard, pro tools 9, and old digidesign PCI-X cards (not newer PCI-e).

The problem is that pro tools has always been very picky about motherboards, so I'm basically looking for a 100% compatible motherboard.

Many people suggest models of Gigabyte boards, but I have no an exact setup confirmed to be working with Pro tools 9 + pCI-x cards.

What I understand now is that is better to have a motherboard with naxtive PCI, and not a bridge between PCI-e and PCI, wich can cause latency and compatibility problems.

Is someone succesfully running this setup? Any suggestions to share?

You guys with older PCIx protools systems don't seem to realize this thread is about the exact type of build you are seeking. Search isn't futile if it got you here.

I built a system that runs my PCIx older HDaccel protools cards with Pro tools 9

I haven't had any snags or problems.

I'm sorry I didn't chime in to help folks out sooner. (I've been recording). But I have to say again. Tonymac is a tremendous resource. Leftbrain and the guys here were instrumental in me completing my build.

beatnik said:
hey fellas,

I am digging a lot of information on the web for making my first hackintosh.

The problem is that there are so many opinions and suggested configurations I'm kinda lost.

My goal is to build a machine wich will work with snow leopard, pro tools 9, and old digidesign PCI-X cards (not newer PCI-e).

The problem is that pro tools has always been very picky about motherboards, so I'm basically looking for a 100% compatible motherboard.

Many people suggest models of Gigabyte boards, but I have no an exact setup confirmed to be working with Pro tools 9 + pCI-x cards.

What I understand now is that is better to have a motherboard with naxtive PCI, and not a bridge between PCI-e and PCI, wich can cause latency and compatibility problems.

Is someone succesfully running this setup? Any suggestions to share?

hey what do you mean pro tools has been very picky about motherboards??? ive never heard that one before, so im very interested to know what you have heard man....

i wish i could help you on the old pcix thing, but im going pci(e).... all you really need to do is when you are looking into mboards, just go to the companies website and get the full specs of the board, read the manual and it should tell you if you are going to have problems loading "x" amount of cards of what type....

the reason im going for the evga sr2 mboard if the fact that it is 7 slots of pci(e)...
exactly what I need once loaded with a uad card... thankyou

what mboards have u been looking at?

You need HPTX Board for the SR-2 !
This is nice: http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload ... 120-02.jpg
LIAN LI ALUMINIUM

The EVGA SR-2 doesn´t have onboard Firewire so 1 slot for another Controller Card will be occupied. !?

Has anybody installed osx and got LAN & Sound working in the SR-2 ?

I´m about to build a HD3 System with the SR-2 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back