CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
R9 270X
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is my first Hackintosh (first Mac entirely, actually) and I would like everything to go as smoothly as possible. I'm planning on using retail Snow Leopard and an Intel Core i5-750 with an EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB GDDR3). The two motherboards that I have available (after cross-referencing the 10.6.3 list from osx86project.org) are the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 and the Asus Maximus III Formula. Obviously, I like the Maximus, but have heard that Gigabyte is the manufacturer to go with for a Hackintosh. Is the Maximus a known hassle?

I REALLY don't want a micro-ATX board, and the GA-P55-UD4 also has known BIOS problems. I'm cross-checking the GA-P55-UD5 and GA-P55-UD4P (per the addendum to Tony's 3 build post) against what is available to me. Are there any other suggestions? Is going with an Intel P55 from Gigabyte pretty much the rule of thumb for hassle-free Hackintoshing? Please help me out with some suggestions, I plan to order tomorrow night, and this is my first time in the Mac sandbox :?:

Sorry, I meant the GA-P55M-UD4 has known BIOS issues. :crazy:

AdamO666 said:
I REALLY don't want a micro-ATX board, and the GA-P55-UD4 also has known BIOS problems.
You shouldn't worry about the temporary BIOS issue...
It works wonderfully with F9, and I believe the issues with F10 will soon be solved.

Why do you dislike the mATX ?

No plans in upgrading soon? SLI/Crossfire? Additional Cards like TV tuners, etc...
mATX is way to go for budget conscious...

But it really depends on you. :)

After reviewing the GA-P55M-UD4 a little more, it does have pretty much all of the features I need. It's just that everything is going to be a little cramped. I'm planning on doubling up on that gfx card in the very near future. Luckily, they left plenty of room for the proc, so I can get a larger after-market cooler in there and OC to 4.0ghz. That's really my only concern left (I will use BIOS F9 for now). I'm still looking to see if I can't get my hands on a similar full ATX board like:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

OR

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P

The more SATA connections, the better. I'm using a hot-swap case, so that I can switch between whatever OS I want on boot up (I like to play with Linux distros). This makes the GA-P55-UD5 the best, on paper, anyway. Out of these, which you you guys like the best? I know the top three have the proper audio codec that Apple uses and are recommended by Tony, but I'm not sure about the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back