Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 4430s-Clover
CPU
i5-2450m
Graphics
HD 3000, 1366x768
I bought on Craigslist this HP pro book, it promised to compare to MBP etc etc etc.

Needless to say, relying on someone else to do a build and then emailing them to say "this doesn't work, this was working but is acting funny" is really tedious. The machine failed, so I decided I would learn to do the build myself.

So, I followed the guide, installed upto 10.7.5, and everything is PRETTY GOOD. I am in the midst of finishing a full length record which is going to come out in August, on a "major label", and I am trying desperately to make it sound fantastic.

Except, my fan, it is very very loud, even with my CPUS almost idling. I tired the DSDT patch for quiet fan, it didn't change.

I did a bit of reading into how to do manual patching, but got so confused and frustrated, I am on a crushing deadline and I PROMISE i will re-aquaint myself with the details of how this machine ticks over the next few months, but right now I need a solution because I'm running ableton at 1024 samples and its still jet loud, with all CPUs around 35%-50%. Sucks.

Please, a step by step or referral to a similar article, I need a solution, I do not want to pull out my iMac, i hate it.

Thank you detailed people of this world, I awaite thee.

Probook 4430s i5 2450M 2.49ghz.

Karneef.

I bought on Craigslist this HP pro book, it promised to compare to MBP etc etc etc.

Needless to say, relying on someone else to do a build and then emailing them to say "this doesn't work, this was working but is acting funny" is really tedious. The machine failed, so I decided I would learn to do the build myself.

So, I followed the guide, installed upto 10.7.5, and everything is PRETTY GOOD. I am in the midst of finishing a full length record which is going to come out in August, on a "major label", and I am trying desperately to make it sound fantastic.

Except, my fan, it is very very loud, even with my CPUS almost idling. I tired the DSDT patch for quiet fan, it didn't change.

I did a bit of reading into how to do manual patching, but got so confused and frustrated, I am on a crushing deadline and I PROMISE i will re-aquaint myself with the details of how this machine ticks over the next few months, but right now I need a solution because I'm running ableton at 1024 samples and its still jet loud, with all CPUs around 35%-50%. Sucks.

Please, a step by step or referral to a similar article, I need a solution, I do not want to pull out my iMac, i hate it.

Thank you detailed people of this world, I awaite thee.

Probook 4430s i5 2450M 2.49ghz.

Karneef.

What do you mean by "tried the DSDT patch for quiet fan." If you're using the ProBook Installer v6.1 to generate a DSDT, be sure to follow the guide for doing so. You must remove the existing DSDT, reboot without DSDT, run ProBook Installer with your DSDT selections. You can't just do the one option on an existing DSDT (although you could do that with MaciASL).

What are your CPU temperatures when the fan is running fast? There is no way to get around having a fan run when you're stressing the CPU into doing lots of work. The CPU has to get cooled somehow, and currently that means moving air over the heat sink components. With the 'quiet' fan DSDT patch properly installed, you will get no fan on at all (provided you have the appropriate setting in BIOS... "Fan always on when AC power" unchecked) at temperatures up to and including 50C.

On my ProBook, I did a hardware mod to make the fan run slower at slow/idle usage. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/99227-probook-silent-fan-mod.html.

FYI: Hackintosh is NOT something you do when you're in a hurry. Sorry, it just isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back